Your Next Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge

Your Next Big Game Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge?

• 6.5/284

Votes: 789 20.2%
  • 7WSM

Votes: 378 9.7%
  • 7RUM

Votes: 166 4.2%
  • 7AM

Votes: 88 2.3%
  • 300WM

Votes: 668 17.1%
  • 300WSM

Votes: 407 10.4%
  • 300RUM

Votes: 348 8.9%
  • 338RUM

Votes: 187 4.8%
  • 338LAP

Votes: 440 11.3%
  • 338EDGE

Votes: 439 11.2%

• Total voters
My prior thread was for the purpose of creating the finalist candidates for this poll.

So the question is SPECIFICALLY, if you had to start all over with currently having no big game rifles, in which of these cartridges would you chamber your next big game rifle?

The 7mm Wsm, I have just purchased one Win. Mod 70 going to start the build up from there. This is intended to be a budget experiment to see if the average shooter can build a long Ranger on a modest budget. gun)

None of the above, but still in the same basic catagory, I am currently waiting for my barrel to arrive from Shillen it will be a Savage drop in 280 Ack. Imp. 26" stainless Rem. Varmint profile. Richards micro fit Laminated stock, Rifle basics trigger, 6.5 X 20 Leupold on Burris Premier rings, Leupold bases.Savage 110 donor action from a 30/06. Think this should make a pretty fair medium long range rig for under $1000.00. Not including Scope.

Why not the 8.59 Titan. I like the ballistics. I also like the brass although some claim it's too soft. I just think they are trying to push it too hard. 300 smk @ 3100 fps no problems with brass after 6 loads. You push them too hard you loosen the primer pockets.

gun)Well fellows I had my early years full of shoulder bustin , deer stomping heavy hitters from 30-06 to 375 H&H and have come to one conclusion ,them things really have taken its toll on my body ! Now that I'am looking at my 60 th. birthday in a few months I have smartened up .I now hunt with a T C Contender chambered in 30-30 Win. with a 22 in. Texas Contender Arms barrel ,it has made me a lot better marksman just knowing that I only have one shot and that I better make it a good one.Now I have had one of those moments and are now looking for a gunsmith that can re-chamber the 30-30 barrel to 30-30 Ackley Improved, that will give me a bit more respectable muzzle velocity with a 150 gr. bullet (2400-2700 fps.) right now I'am having to use a 125-130 gr bullet to just barely get 2400 fps. hopefully that will do it for the rest of my life.

Timkenred (dave)

None of the above. I'm gonna built me a .308 backed with a MP20 metric reticule scope.
Regards,
(There is no task can not be completed with it, unless you are some one lack of skills or blood line!)
TIT-COU Brigade (92-99)
Honorably Discharged-Sergeant COLAK

I'm thinking that my pistol (Competitor) in 300WBY Mag will do just fine for the bear and my lone eagle in 30-06 is just fine for dear at long range, so none of the above neither, and plus save myself some weight to, take care from the bear:rolleyes::D

340 Weatherby

:)Montana Rifles 340 Weatherby:)

CSRM 415 Stainless Steel Long Action, .534" Bolt Face, Right Hand, Magazine Length 3.650"
416R Stainless Steel Barrel, length 26" #4 Shallow 6 flutes Recessed Crown
1 in 10 twist.
Lone wolf Summit stock in Grey

10th

gun)If I would biuld a gun it would be in a 300 H&H with low recoil and long range.With 200 grain Bullets
The other would be 6.5 x 284 the BC of 6.5 bullets is Great with low recoil makes it a great one up to elk.

I already have a great 300WSM on a Savage action with a Benchmark 24" barrel and Kevin Rayhill woodchuck stock.

But...7mm have much higher BC heavy bullets when compared with 30 Cal selection. So I am going to build a 7WSM for long range competition and maybe for deer, but I'll always have a 30 cal for elk.

here a .270 is king , i will be buying a 50. 2nd one and having it rechambered to .30 cal i hope it works out good on the fuzzy f-ers they told me i wont do any better then the .416 though we will see

SPECIFICALLY, if you had to start all over with currently having no big game rifles

Ok wait... I'm assuming that what you mean is something more like, "If a thief were to take all of your rifles today, what rifle would be the first you'd go after when you got the insurance check?" rather than "If you were a new hunter today, which cartridge would you look at for your first certerfire rifle?"

The answer to the lformer question would be 30'06. The answer to the latter might be something more tame like the 30-30 that I really did start out with (those were my first two centerfire rifles... the old WCF and the '06) or perhaps a 7x57 or 7'08.

If the question were something more like "Of all the cartridges listed here, which interests you most as a hunting cartridge?" I'd answer 6.5-284 Norma, followed by the 338 Edge as a hunting round... (rather than a shooting round) ...a long range hunting round... the Edge would be da bomb for sure. But for an all around fun rifle to own I'd go for the Norma cuz I'd be able to shoot the heck out of it.

In truth my next completed rifle will be a 338'06 A-Square, followed by a 7x57, 9.3x62, (these three are in the works) 6.5-280 AI (I have an action set aside for this one), followed likely by a 6mm-223 Rem, and then perhaps a 270-308 Ackley Imp.

Last edited: