Your Next Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge

Your Next Big Game Rifle Will Be In Which Cartridge?

• 6.5/284

Votes: 789 20.2%
  • 7WSM

Votes: 378 9.7%
  • 7RUM

Votes: 166 4.2%
  • 7AM

Votes: 88 2.3%
  • 300WM

Votes: 668 17.1%
  • 300WSM

Votes: 407 10.4%
  • 300RUM

Votes: 348 8.9%
  • 338RUM

Votes: 187 4.8%
  • 338LAP

Votes: 440 11.3%
  • 338EDGE

Votes: 439 11.2%

• Total voters
I have been waffling back and forth on this, between the 7 RUM and the 300 RUM and right now I am leaning to the 7. My reasoning is that the 7 RUM will deliver a 180 gr bullet well past 1K with elk killing velocity and momentum about as well as a 300 RUM will deliver a 200-210 gr bullet with a little less kick and i think I will be able to get by with no brake which is a big plus for me since I'm not fond of them.

On the economic practicle level, the RUMs can be had in a facory Sendero which is a good out of the box platform that seems to perform very well. Shooting the factory barrel will be a good time to get familiar with LR shooting and when it's burned out I can get the actioned tuned up and rebarrel with a little more potent cartridge like and improved 7-338 Lapua along the lines of a 7 AM but probably a little less modified. As well as a little more performance I would be able to use Lapua brass.

Sounds like a plan to me, at least for this week :cool:

338 LAI, specifically the 338AX. At or near max long range elk killing ability in a platform that can still be reasonably packed in the mountains. JMO.

All the LAI's would be fine, I'm sure. I just like the idea of a well known and trusted smith making this for me and having someone fireforming brass for me and having it arrive on my doorstep ready to go.

None of the Above.

Finaly everything is here the 7mm 32" barrel i was waiting on arrived yesterday so this is what i have to get put together for the bigest shoot in the state next month.

Lawton 7500 1.45" dual port action short mag and 308 bolt.
Seekins recoil lug with scope recoil log.
ARMS 30mm Low rings
Modified Lawton steel scope mount
32" 7mm 9 twist heavy LAwton barrel
30" 6mm 8.44 twist realy heavy fluted barrel
An old 6mm Dasher barrel
Custom Trigger Guard
Jewell HVR trigger with trigger shoe.
A custom stock i had made after i selected the timber in rough sawn timber dressed them up and laid them up with formaldahide glue. then posted it to USA to Bill Shehane and he shaped it to a Modified Lee Six Thumbhole and posted it back.
Nightforce 12-42BR with fine cross hair with dot CH2

It will be a switch Barrel
6mm Dasher
7mmBSM ( 7mmWSM with shoulder pushed bach and 60 degree shoulder)
6mm55SMc ( uses WSM cases highly modified)

So i have the 7mm cases formed just have to ream and turn necks wont have time to form the 6mm55SMc before the Queens so i will just use the Dasher barrel at 25" for back to 600 Yards and the 7mm with my 189gr Carturio projectiles for the longs.

I will be starting to work on the rifle Friday hopefully in a Week it will be ready to run in.

I am getting some parts Gold Plated so it should look awsome.

Cheers Bill

This is my new F Class rifle

Well, since I recently purchased it from a great gentlemen here......338 Edge. Next, will probably be one of the Allen Magnums since they keep "calling" to me.

My next personal build will be a .50EBG. I am going to use a Lawton 700 repeater a 8 or 8.5 twist .510 barrel in a Mcmillan A-3 adjustable with Seekins DBM. I am going to make a big suppressor on a form 1 for it. Kind of like a 300 whisper on steroids.

I currently have a sendero in 7mmRM that does all I need in my neck of the woods and I like the envelope that it delivers. So when it will no longer maintain its accuracy (which at the current rate I'm getting to shoot it will be much too long), I plan to rebarrel to 7 wsm, basicly the same ballistics in a no belt case, I hope by then maybe lapua or nosler will be building good brass for it.
:308

None of the above calibers- I'd go with a .308 every time. I have a HUGE supply of Lake City Match ammo, plus brass, I can buy my 168 grain Sierra MK bullets by the 1000 at Camp Perry, and I have a custom BDC built by Leupold on my Vari-X III in 4.5X14X40. I'm good for 100 yards to 1000 yards. I just bought a TC ICON in .308, and it shoots under .50" at 100 yards. I shot it once at a nice buck in Alabama this January at 217 yards. He was deader than John Wayne Gacy's paperboy. I still have a Ruger 77V in .308, but with its massive barrel, it's like lugging an anvil around the woods. Here's a picture of the gun and the buck:

Deer2009.jpg

I would build a .338 Norma with the following components:

Badger Ordnance Receiver

Badger Ordnance Bottom Metal (5 round detachable magazine)

Jewel Trigger

AI or McMillan Stock with side mounted Flush Cups

21" 9.5 twist #7 fluted Krieger, Broughton or Schnieder barrel. Preferably in Chrome Molly Steel

Badger FTE Muzzle Break or Silencer

Night Force 3.5 - 15 X 50 NXS Scope