NEW POLL - Will your next rifle scope be first or second focal plane?

NEW POLL - Will your next rifle scope be first or second focal plane?

• First focal plane

Votes: 108 52.4%
  • Second focal plane

Votes: 98 47.6%

• Total voters
Ain't it great to have so many choices of gear? But, I am with you...sometimes it can give you a bit of the head-spins trying to figure out what will work best for you.

This of FFP this way - if it helps: When you zero, lets say at 200 meters as an example no mater what your magnification is - you are zeroed. SO if you need to dial up to max. mag. to look at a fly on the target, and decide to pull the trigger - you need not be concerned about a shift in POI.
And - if the crosshair of the reticle now is bigger than the fly, you dial back to whatever is comfortable - and still...no change in Point of Impact.

Maybe I'm missing something here... But why would poi change at same distance but different magnification???

No, my wrong choice of terminology...point of "aim" was my intent. In other words, the change of magnification does not affect where the cross hair needs to be placed - or if your prefer - your holdover mark-count will not change ( how many mils/moa and the corresponding number of marks in your reticle).

For me, this is what makes the biggest difference from a Second Focal Plane scope.

I hope I am translating more clearly from what is inside my skull - to something that makes sense to others.:D

FFP

If i am out hunting and the place I happen to be glassing requires a particular magnification for best field of view, I don't want to have to change magnification or figure out what multiplier zoom level/moa ratio my reticle is on.... I want to know that where ever that animal steps out at whatever range, when i hold for a certain MOA, iam getting that MOA, no matter what magnification.
Exactly! I also like the fact that I can choose how consuntrated I make the redical subtions.

Hey FEENIX-

If there is a downside to illumination, it is in dim lighting - where bring able to dial the illumination down to match lighting conditions can be more critical.
Illumination in some of my FFP scopes, and as long as there are enough "gradients" of adjustment...it is a good asset.

This is an feature I found I needed but didn't have in my scope on the 11 day bison hunt I got home from a few days ago. The center of my reticle is illuminated. And is awesome for shooting . But, the mil scale is not and at dawn and dusk it was very difficult to distinguish the mil marks against a dark object.like a bison. Having a variable illuminated miling reticle would have been very nice. I'm thinking the new PST ll 2-10 or 3-15 ffp will be my next scope.

Whatever you choose, I would encourage you to keep your hunting rifles and your partners optics the same... meanining FFP or sfp
Nothing is more aggravating than trying to spot for your buddy than not being able to give instant calls on shots.

Also keep em the same between rifles - it makes life much easier!
This applies to moa vs rads
Since I have a Vortex pst in rads I am keen to get a PST gen 2 in rads also - even though the adjustments are a bit less fine

Last edited:
Whatever you choose, I would encourage you to keep your hunting rifles and your partners optics the same... meanining FFL or sfp
Nothing is more aggravating than trying to spot for your buddy than not being able to give instant calls on shots.

Since I have a Vortex pst in rads I am keen to get a PST gen 2 in rads also - even though the adjustments are a bit less fine
The biggest reason why I like mrads over MOA is your mrad number matches the number of clicks with the decimal moved over 1 to the right, in other words, if I had to go 2.3 mrads. I just spin up to 2 mrad's and then 3 more clicks and I'm done, Way faster acquisition than MOA. So when I make my data cards for my wrist bands I let my clicks dictate my yardage not my yardage dictate my clicks.

Whatever you choose, I would encourage you to keep your hunting rifles and your partners optics the same... meanining FFL or sfp

And yes, I have to deal with my father-in-law and his MOA set up, and it is a pain in the *** to constantly convert for him. Thank God my Ballistics give me both numbers at the same time, I constantly have to wait for him to dope and then re-find the target.

I applaud your use of the app, you are correct completely
I use the StrelokPro app since it gives a simple "heads up" return
I'm not saying you should use StrelokPro, just saying it works for me

I will paste a pic of my doe that I used strelock to calculate the holdover if I can figure out this sight. The upshot is that I centershot the does heart at 200+ yds using my 6.5x55 Tikka and fusion ammo that was way lower velocity than I planned to use.

I started shooting FF scopes about 2 years ago and have fallen in love with them. I have a blend of both 1st & 2nd however my last 3 purchases have been 1st.

They both have their place and I'm sure more 2nds are also in my future.

Check out Ebay right now... there's a seller letting go of Vortex PST 4-16x50 FFP scopes for $699 and free shipping. I think Vortex has discontinued these models because of the Gen II models, but this is a great scope at an unbeatable price.

Low light and low magnification and first focal plane is too hard to see. Therefore, I hunt with second focal plane scopes.

Still can't get a FFP to do what a SFP does, low light hunting on low mag transitioning to long range precision shooting, use FFP for other things but find them worthless for hunting!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.