NEW POLL - Will your next rifle scope be first or second focal plane?

NEW POLL - Will your next rifle scope be first or second focal plane?

• First focal plane

Votes: 108 52.4%
  • Second focal plane

Votes: 98 47.6%

• Total voters
Still can't get a FFP to do what a SFP does, low light hunting on low mag transitioning to long range precision shooting, use FFP for other things but find them worthless for hunting!

Not trying to pick on you..but have you considered that it may be your lack of understanding the FFP scopes, or your personal likes and dislikes? As well - I have no idea what your "hunting" is comprised of...nor do you have knowledge of mine. Skill, location, terrain are all components of WHY each of us choose different products - that may not be suitable for someone else.
We all have preferences - and that is what makes life interesting...that we have more than one choice. There may be different brands and different reticles of FFP scopes that you find the advantages that many of us have...*IF* you are hunting at more than 100 yards. Short distance hunting....I don't think of either scope as having a distinct advantage over the other - again - given that at minimum magnification the reticle is sized to be viewable as a crosshair ( can't think of one I have used yet that does not give me that...)....100 yds. is what you are going to site in at, at a minimum distance. SO - worst case - you have a crosshair. As you need greater magnification, - you are likely looking/shooting further, so the reticle enlarges appropriately to reveal more useable information by which bullet drop can be accounted for.

I like the everyone has preferences and different needs but here's why my preference should be yours posts!!

To explain, I probably recommended more FFP optics for customers this year and trained some with them than I did SFP so I do understand there strengths but I'm also realistic about there weak points and simply want to use the best optic for each situation.
In my area a guy will often hunt timber this is not jump shooting where a FFP optic at low power CQB mode excels, it's close range precision shooting, more than likely I'm threading a bullet through cover to a precise target and I need clearly defined aim points which I find SFP excels for.
We will often work through the timber into areas that long range is the game, again I'm looking for a precise and much slower shot process and done with power cranked, again I find FFP just not as useful for me, the cross hair is much to thick on 90% of the FFP optics I see for what works well for me, my substentions will be accurate since that is where I crank to for long range.
I HATE the reticle looking different at every power, for me that is way more distraction than having the substentions change, when I pull up I want the same reticle every time.
If I'm setting up a gun for mid range, mid power shooting and holding off a lot FFP is my go to because that kind of shooting is where it excels, if a guy want to shoot a lot of diverse stuff, lots of steel and some long range and some hunting I'll probably go FFP.
Point is I want to use the best not settling and for some it's FFP and others it's SFP.

I like the everyone has preferences and different needs but here's why my preference should be yours posts!!

To explain, I probably recommended more FFP optics for customers this year and trained some with them than I did SFP so I do understand there strengths but I'm also realistic about there weak points and simply want to use the best optic for each situation.
In my area a guy will often hunt timber this is not jump shooting where a FFP optic at low power CQB mode excels, it's close range precision shooting, more than likely I'm threading a bullet through cover to a precise target and I need clearly defined aim points which I find SFP excels for.
We will often work through the timber into areas that long range is the game, again I'm looking for a precise and much slower shot process and done with power cranked, again I find FFP just not as useful for me, the cross hair is much to thick on 90% of the FFP optics I see for what works well for me, my substentions will be accurate since that is where I crank to for long range.
I HATE the reticle looking different at every power, for me that is way more distraction than having the substentions change, when I pull up I want the same reticle every time.
If I'm setting up a gun for mid range, mid power shooting and holding off a lot FFP is my go to because that kind of shooting is where it excels, if a guy want to shoot a lot of diverse stuff, lots of steel and some long range and some hunting I'll probably go FFP.
Point is I want to use the best not settling and for some it's FFP and others it's SFP.

Sounds like you have thought it through thoroughly - and understand the pros/cons of each pretty well.

Still can't get a FFP to do what a SFP does, low light hunting on low mag transitioning to long range precision shooting, use FFP for other things but find them worthless for hunting!

?????? Have you tried FFP on an illuminated scope at low power? In this configuration I have found it to be the best of both worlds, both Hunting and long distant shooting

All I can say is that with FFP if I am hunting short, in thick stuff, I can't find the crosshairs fast enough, even when illuminated. And I don't like to have a situation where I am messing with my scope trying to find the prey and the crosshairs. I like to point and shoot and SFP gives me that for that situation. Conversely, for precision shooting long, FFP gives me that. But so does SFP. I have one FFP scoped rifle and several SFP scoped rifles, and the SFP scoped rifles are all that I will hunt with because they give me the total flexibility that I need when hunting where long or short shots may be required..

All I can say is that with FFP if I am hunting short, in thick stuff, I can't find the crosshairs fast enough, even when illuminated. And I don't like to have a situation where I am messing with my scope trying to find the prey and the crosshairs. I like to point and shoot and SFP gives me that for that situation. Conversely, for precision shooting long, FFP gives me that. But so does SFP. I have one FFP scoped rifle and several SFP scoped rifles, and the SFP scoped rifles are all that I will hunt with because they give me the total flexibility that I need when hunting where long or short shots may be required..

And that's why SFP will always have a place in the rifle world

I didn't read all these posts so take my opinion with a grain of salt. First focal plane optics are the way to go. Spend $100 - 200 bucks extra and get a first focal plane scope. You won't regret it. You will regret saving some money buying a 2nd fp scope

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.