Yall ever sold a rifle in boxes?

DUCKMAN11

I finally gathered ALL the parts to build a 25x280AI. And when I say ALL I mean everything!! All I had to do is turn the lathe on and get primers loaded. It's taken the better part of 3 years to get the ...

Action
Barrel
Stock
Bottom metal
Reamer
Go gages
Dies
Brass
Bullets
Primers
Powder
Trigger
Rings
Scope

All I was waiting on was for it to cool off a little bit and start making chips. Then here comes a friend of a friend who just wanted me to thread a 10/22 and we got to swapping stories about "dream guns" and I made the mistake of showing him a dummy round I made up. He made the mistake of asking what I'd take for the Rubbermaid tote full of parts. I said a number....he walked to his pickup and returned with a bank envelope full of crisp hundreds and quick as that....my dream gun was gone haha. I told him I was gonna turn a profit for convenience fees and research and development 🤣. He paid about 30% over my cost and doesn't have to wait for years for everything to come available. With inflation I probably lost money depending on what news channel you watch lol.

I'm still gonna build a fast twist 25cal one of these days and heck I guess now I have around 30% more money to do it with. It definitely won't go as far as pre-plandemic money would have. Good thing is.... I have one less project. Bad thing is...... I have one less project lol

I look at all guns (objects) this way....they all can be replaced....I have bought and sold 1000's of guns they all can be replaced....
The only ones that I keep are my grandfathers and dads all the rest can be sold and replaced....
Yep , but the older you get you start realizing , time can't be replaced and building guns takes time.

My wife knows that I'm willing to sell just about anything for the right price. Yes, some things are sentimental and are safe, but most of my guns are tools. The only ones I won't sell are the ones I've bought for my son.

Reminds me of a long ago story a distant relative told me about his prized squirrel hunting horse, and how he went on a hunting trip to sell one of his famous squirrel dogs to a gentleman from Texas. Seems the hunter was so impressed with the horse's ability to leap fences, stay still while aiming and shooting from said animal, and its ability to take commands, the hunter soon decided he needed the horse along with a dog.

He asked what would you take for the horse also, and of course, it wasn't for sale. Not to be defeated, the nice Texan asked a hypothetical question, "If you were to ever decide to sell it, what would be your price?" Relative thought and gave the man a unheard-of-locally high price for the horse. Needless to say upon returning to the truck, the man produced a check for the stated amount and even threw in extra for the saddle, and of course, he bought the dog too.

Moral - NEVER state a price if you aren't willing to be kicked out of the saddle.

Reminds me of a long ago story a distant relative told me about his prized squirrel hunting horse, and how he went on a hunting trip to sell one of his famous squirrel dogs to a gentleman from Texas. Seems the hunter was so impressed with the horse's ability to leap fences, stay still while aiming and shooting from said animal, and its ability to take commands, the hunter soon decided he needed the horse along with a dog.

He asked what would you take for the horse also, and of course, it wasn't for sale. Not to be defeated, the nice Texan asked a hypothetical question, "If you were to ever decide to sell it, what would be your price?" Relative thought and gave the man a unheard-of-locally high price for the horse. Needless to say upon returning to the truck, the man produced a check for the stated amount and even threw in extra for the saddle, and of course, he bought the dog too.

Moral - NEVER state a price if you aren't willing to be kicked out of the saddle.
Oh I'm not sad about selling the parts for a profit I can promise you that lol.

I was just kinda shocked that someone else had the same taste in components as myself and had the cash on hand to buy an unfinished rifle.

The cost of the parts is only 1/2 of the "value". The rest is the time and energy it took hours to locate them.
I have a saying about selling guns or parts to make them: "The gun that you sell is the one you'll regret selling"
FWIW, I had a custom rifle built in 1998, my cost $3300, never fired a shot through it in .243 Ack Imp. I tried to sell it, but there was no interest in that caliber, so I decided to have it rebarreled in .22-250 by Shilen Rifles. My cost including shipping will be $750.
Then I had a 26" Krieger 1 1/8" dia. barrel without a home. I then bought a new Rem 700 action and it's getting rechambered in .243 Win. A new action and Trigger Tech Diamond trigger will cost $1,000 in addition to the labor at $800. The total cost of all the rifles and parts is irrelevant at this point. Good thing, because it kinda had a separate life of it's own morphing into two potentially great rifles. I tried to find a competent riflesmith anywhere in Lower Michigan. and I did in Fosnaugh Customs. Waiting to get them before the Diesel shortage strikes all shipping in the USA!

Last edited: