X-Caliber barrels any opinions?

I bought my son a savage 16 LWT in 6.5 CM with a 20" pencil barrel. The muzzle blast even on starting loads was like a muzzle braked barrel that made him flinch. Looking at my options I bought an 24" x-caliber barrel but I made a big mistake ordering the WRONG contour it was 4.3 lbs!!! I called and explained my situation and 2 weeks later a brand new 23.5" fluted slim contour barrel showed up!! Top notch service in my eyes and the rifle is under .50" MOA and weighs 5.45 lbs (bare) with way less muzzle blast exactly as the owner promised. Very happy with their honest service, everyone is human and even when I was wrong he made it right!!

Range report first 5 shots...UGLY.

Been out of town, so first chance to shoot.

Cleaned before I started. Used my go-to of 78gr H1000 on a 208 Amax

BTW-- doesn't look like a 5R barrel!

guess i'll clean it and start load development but off to a bad start considering my Lilja shot everything wonderfully without every shooting a group this bad.

Attachments

• IMG_2581.JPG
    IMG_2581.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_2579.JPG
    IMG_2579.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 365
Straight off there facebook page.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190707-195412_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190707-195412_Chrome.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 410
That looks like 6 lands to me. Is that bluing on the barrel ? If so, your Smith also did a chrome moly replacement instead of stainless.
That group looks like something is loose. Did you go behind him and check all the screws on the scope mounts and action ? For my xcaliber to shoot like that I'd have to be trying to make a 2 1/2" circle on the target by aiming in different places !
Again, I DID NOT buy a prefit barrel . Mine was chambered by an individual that had no affiliation with xcaliber and threaded for a remage fitment.

Last edited:
I checked all the screws and cleaned it until patches were white before heading out.

Since he'd fired a two test shots before giving it back to me and god knows how much cutting fluid was still in the barrel...

The barrel is Stainless in the raw. The circles at the end were where it was chucked up probably for the crowning job.

Since i did 5 shots and clean I'll start a ladder test for a 10 shot and clean.

Hopefully things start looking up.

Range report first 5 shots...UGLY.

Been out of town, so first chance to shoot.

Cleaned before I started. Used my go-to of 78gr H1000 on a 208 Amax

BTW-- doesn't look like a 5R barrel!

guess i'll clean it and start load development but off to a bad start considering my Lilja shot everything wonderfully without every shooting a group this bad.

I do not normally look for any grouping until I have broken in the barrel (~20 shots or so). It might be your go to load but it is not developed for the rifle/barrel in question.

"IF" you did not get a 5R as the gunsmith indicated/promised, have him fix it or put the Lilja 3R back. I have a couple of Lilja 3Rs and very pleased with them.

I do not normally look for any grouping until I have broken in the barrel (~20 shots or so). It might be your go to load but it is not developed for the rifle/barrel in question.

"IF" you did not get a 5R as the gunsmith indicated/promised, have him fix it or put the Lilja 3R back. I have a couple of Lilja 3Rs and very pleased with them.

Load dev is next after break in for sure. I wasn't promised anything, he replaced my Lilja likely because the chamber wasn't cut correctly.

It couldn't be fixed after break in, I had sent it out for FeCarbNitriding.
Its a surface hardening that makes it nearly impossible to recut or wear out.

Load dev is next after break in for sure. I wasn't promised anything, he replaced my Lilja likely because the chamber wasn't cut correctly.

It couldn't be fixed after break in, I had sent it out for FeCarbNitriding.
Its a surface hardening that makes it nearly impossible to recut or wear out.

Did he chamber it wrong? Sorry if I missed that part.

Just got my Savage 110 back from the gunsmith after installing a X-Caliber .260 AI 24" SS bull 5R barrel non match chamber. Loads were in Remington 7mm-08 new brass necked down and blown out with Cream of Wheat in another barrel. 46.2 to 48.1 grains of H4831sc,+.5 grains ladder per 10 rounds, 140 SST's, 140 Amax's, 140 Barnes Match Burners. First 10 rounds cleaned after each shot then cleaned every 5 shots. Largest group was one of the first 1.492 with 2 in same hole SST's. 1 Amax group .543, barrel didn't like Barnes Burners for groups. Barrel likes the 2 hottest loads at 47.7 and 48.1 H4831sc at .355 and .253 3 shot groups, the same load my 26" Criterion SS match camber barrel likes. Within 30 rounds it was already putting 2 shots in the same hole at 100 yards. Once I get my loads dialed in I figure .250 5 shot groups, ain't to bad for a blind old man. Pleased with the barrel, a Made in Montana product just 120 miles from where I live.

Just got my Savage 110 back from the gunsmith after installing a X-Caliber .260 AI 24" SS bull 5R barrel non match chamber. Loads were in Remington 7mm-08 new brass necked down and blown out with Cream of Wheat in another barrel. 46.2 to 48.1 grains of H4831sc,+.5 grains ladder per 10 rounds, 140 SST's, 140 Amax's, 140 Barnes Match Burners. First 10 rounds cleaned after each shot then cleaned every 5 shots. Largest group was one of the first 1.492 with 2 in same hole SST's. 1 Amax group .543, barrel didn't like Barnes Burners for groups. Barrel likes the 2 hottest loads at 47.7 and 48.1 H4831sc at .355 and .253 3 shot groups, the same load my 26" Criterion SS match camber barrel likes. Within 30 rounds it was already putting 2 shots in the same hole at 100 yards. Once I get my loads dialed in I figure .250 5 shot groups, ain't to bad for a blind old man. Pleased with the barrel, a Made in Montana product just 120 miles from where I live.
Same break in procedure I used on my xcaliber. After the second 5 shot group it quit grabbing copper. Your groups sound like they are headed in about the same place too. The worse group mine shot was dead on 1 moa and was the first 3 shots fired during the clean , fire, clean ,fire part of break in. Factory federal American 120 otm. Shoots Norma golden target really well at .5 moa five shot groups. My handloads like to make little ragged holes. I'd like to post some pics , but I'm old and ignorant in the ways of the black magic called internet pic posting :(

Last edited: