caliber opinions

mike_l

i have a winchester modle 70 short action with a .308 bolt face and am thinking of builing a one hole paper puncher/ varmit rifle but interested in what some of you guys think a good caliber would be. i don't want anything too exotic but want something that is very accurate have been considering a 22-250 but didn't know if something in the 6mm range would be better. just not sure about a .22 caliber bullet at fairly long range.

I don't know how many would agree with me on this but I would have to say either a 308 or 260 would be my top choices.

But those are 2 of my favorite calibers and just MHO.

Good luck!
Oneshot

I would go with a straight 6 BR or the new 6x47.

Either with a 9 twist would handle the 95 grain bullets. The 9 twist would also handle the 105 flat base Bibs, but that is probably the only 100 plus grain bullet that would shoot well in the 9 twist. You could also drop back to the 87 gr bullets.

The 6 br would last at least 2000 plus rounds if not double that. The verdict is still out on the 6x47 but if you do not push them too hard it should be similar.

the 6x47 has dies out now, Lapua brass and is extremely accurate. it pushes a 105 gr over 3200 fps.

The BR is going to be in the 2900-2950 fps range with a 95.

The Broughton 5C rifling will give you another 50-75 fps in each.

BH

I really like the 6mm-250 but in all reality, all the ones listed will work perfectly well for your needs if the rifle is built properly.

Go with what you like best as far as case design and go with it. You will not be unhappy as all are extremely accurate.

If you go with a 6mm for the 105 gr pills I would personally go with a 1-8 twist for the smaller capacity rounds. It is correct in that a 1-9 will in most cases handle these bullets very well but in certain situations you may want a bit more twist.

Also, you can play with the 115 gr Bergers or some of the heavy Wildcats as well if you go with a 1-8. I would recommend a 5 or 6 groove for the thin jacketed bullets such as the J-4 based pills.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.