X-Caliber barrels any opinions?

quick update.

I cleaned after last 5 shot disaster. I wasn't happy on how long it was taking to get all the copper out so after cleaning I ran JB Bore shine patch through about 100 strokes. and cleaned again just to be sure.

Using loads from same set as before I was able to fire another 5 shot string that is looking a bit more promising.

Cleaning it now so hopefully it will start making a better impression and I'll owe X-Caliber an apology.

Attachments

• IMG_2585.jpg
    IMG_2585.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 214
quick update.

I cleaned after last 5 shot disaster. I wasn't happy on how long it was taking to get all the copper out so after cleaning I ran JB Bore shine patch through about 100 strokes. and cleaned again just to be sure.

Using loads from same set as before I was able to fire another 5 shot string that is looking a bit more promising.

Cleaning it now so hopefully it will start making a better impression and I'll owe X-Caliber an apology.
I hope it continues to get right for ya. I think it will. Just get a few down the tube.

You shouldn't have to run JB through a barrel if its properly lapped.

I only have personal experience with one X-Caliber barrel. That's on a .270 WSM, with I believe a 7.5 twist, shooting 165gr Matrix bullets and 170 Berger's. It's my cousin's rifle and I never asked or saw how it cleaned or how it fouled, but I know it shot under 1/2 MOA when I saw him shoot it. Besides that, I don't have anymore experience with them so can't really say if they're great or not.

What I will say though, I would be furious with your gunsmith. That Lilja barrel wasn't free and neither was the work he did. For him to throw away a top tier barrel because of his own mess up is honestly terrible business behavior. Furthermore, for him to replace the barrel without your knowledge or permission is complete crap. I understand this is still a fresh wound, I'm not judging you or knocking you in anyway. This type of stuff really irritates me in any business, whether it's gunsmithing or any type of professional service. It's not like the barrel you had was defective from the get go, it was messed up by him. He should have bought you another Lilja, or something of equal quality and reputation like a Bartlein, Krieger, Hart, Brux, etc. I wouldn't trust that guy if he can't chamber a barrel properly. I would be questioning his setup, how he indicates the barrels in, how he runs the reamer, and every other step, and how much care he takes.

I also don't like how rough the finish is on the X-Caliber he put on your rifle. He literally could have take like 10-15 minutes to clean it up with a scotch bright pad or something that would look at least better than that. Also the fact it was supposed to be a 5R, not a 6 groove, further cements this guys attitude and care for what he's doing. Not that a 6 groove can't shoot or is anymore better or worse than a 5R, but if that's what you wanted, then that's what you should have got. He could have at least asked if you'd be okay with a 6 groove if he couldn't get a 5R right away or whatever. I'm sorry this crap happened to you man. I really hope the X-Caliber turns out to be a tack driver and a great barrel, because after all of this mess, that's the least you deserve.

Sorry to hear about your touchy-feely feelings, but there would have been hell to pay if a gunsmith changed my barrel without asking me, especially dropping in a lot less quality barrel. Good reason to get a small lathe and do the work yourself. Rant over.
I have never used an X-Caliber barrel so I cannot help you with that and it's been mentioned before, if you don't have your old barrel get it back and have a different gunsmith put it back on and work on the problem you had.

Recently had some loading and feeding issues with my rifle and sent it to my gunsmith for examination.

Unbeknownst to me he re-barreled my rifle without my permission. I was a bit upset but nothing I can do now.

Spare me the "what I would've done" crap as I'm already just barely over it.

I traded a LILJA 3 grove 10 twist tack driver for a X-Caliber 5R 10 twist In 300WM of course but i just got it and haven't shot it yet.

has anyone had any actual experience with them?

this is a fresh wound so tread lightly...
I'd be mad beyond belief if a smith did that to me. That's like finding out a shop replaced the transmission on your truck when all you wanted was an oil change.

I've heard people say X-caliber barrels shoot good. I've had one good one and a couple that didn't shoot so great. Fighting fliers in a 6mm creed X-caliber barrel at the moment. Accuracy is in the eye of the beholder and I think I'm pickier than most hunters/varminters. So what's great to one person might not be what I personally call "shoots great!". Anyhow, point being that X-caliber has been hit and miss for me. Not a barrel brand I purchase anymore.

Ask your smith where your old Lilja barrel is at. He has no right to keep it if you do not say he can. Would be very easy to see if the barrel still has life with a scope inspection. Since it's already threaded and head spaced for your action, it would also be very easy to screw it back on

Last edited:
I have put together 6, 22 creedmoors with Excalibur barrels they have all shot .500 groups or better at 200yds every one has speeded up about 100rds in. The last 2 only took 20rds to get to where they cleaned up with no cooper after 8 to 10 patches

All of them were 5r 1&7 twist and they were all prefits that we put on ourselves I ordered them from crown ridge barrel works

Recent Posts