OCW opinions?

I agree with Brent you do have room to push it up higher if you wanted to, I'm doing the same load development right now, factory 700 rem, same everything, except federal brass over here, and I'm about to load up at 45.0 to start working seating depth.
I use to push to higher grain weights, but as i get older brass life and forgiveness means more ....

I completely understand....I only ended up there cuz I used Hogdon website info for my load development on this one and went with their min and max, and 45 is what worked best.

I completely understand....I only ended up there cuz I used Hogdon website info for my load development on this one and went with their min and max, and 45 is what worked best.
Ive had quite a few loads with varget in 308 that were 44-45 gr and worked great..... however, after 800y or so i think id pick a different tool....

The problem with this particular test is 1. your only using three shots and 2. just the smallest amount of shooter error can skew your data quite a bit. I would think it would be important to have a rather high powered scope and a very very stable rest. Lots of my shooting is with 10x scopes and, at least for me, I couldn't tell you if it was me or the load that was off 1/3". I've used this test and it has worked fine, as have numerous other "quick and dirty" load workups but they may not reveal the best load also. Kampfjager's gun looks to me like it really wants to shoot.

The problem with this particular test is 1. your only using three shots and 2. just the smallest amount of shooter error can skew your data quite a bit. I would think it would be important to have a rather high powered scope and a very very stable rest. Lots of my shooting is with 10x scopes and, at least for me, I couldn't tell you if it was me or the load that was off 1/3". I've used this test and it has worked fine, as have numerous other "quick and dirty" load workups but they may not reveal the best load also. Kampfjager's gun looks to me like it really wants to shoot.
I agree 100%.... and i think if i do my part its an acceptable 1/2-3/4 moa rifle.... hell itll out shoot me if im being honest, lol

Was the target oriented as shown when it was shot, or was it turned so the writing is correct?
If it was clocked differently when shot, then the results would be different, too, right?
Or am I missing something?

Was the target oriented as shown when it was shot, or was it turned so the writing is correct?
If it was clocked differently when shot, then the results would be different, too, right?
Or am I missing something?
It was shot as the pick is.....what are you thinking?

All other things being equal, a higher velocity will result in a higher POI, way more to it than this but easy way to remember that (and dont flog me for oversimplification) think of it as the bullet gets there quicker so less time for it to drop so it will impact higher on the target.

Heres what i see (lines exaggerated some)...... vertical dispersion is very similar 42.9 through 43.3 which would indicate forgiving powder throws and changes to point of impact due to temp changes.....all 3 groups look incredibly acceptable as far as being well under 1/2 moa.....horizontal dispersion is good too.... now ill neck size only (which has no effect on OCW, only concentricity of the cartridge) and see what kinda groups i get at 300y..... im anxious to hear other ideas or opinions, thanks...to me the arrow indicates the node and it just happens to be the best group too.....
Screenshot_20190203-203539_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
You're correct in your assessment of vertical dispersion, but the OCW method has you look at center of group POI and find the 3 with the closest POI, ideally the same POI regardless of group size, as this is going to provide "forgiving powder throws and changes to point of impact due to temp changes."
But I dont see a problem with you working at 43.0. Looking at your target I think it's safe to assume you're a competent shooter, based on things you've said previously I'm certain you're much more experienced reloader than I am, so I think you'll be able to make it work.
But strictly going by the OCW method it's not the most ideal charge based on the 3 shot groups you posted.
Load em up and shoot 300yds, you'll know

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts