Wyoming Guided Elk Hunt 2023

Mark L

Trying to plan ahead for 2023. Looking for a 320" class bull and I'll have 5 points. I've taken a 270" bull in NM a couple years ago and want a bigger one for the fire place. ;)

Any good options for this range bull with 5 points? or do I need to keep saving?

Thanks,
Mark

I agree with Bill and keep saving up points. It's possible to kill a 320" in a general tag area but if a guide tells you it's probable he's just trying to get his hunts booked.

The way these point systems work ....
you gotta have so many points to hunt your too dam old to get around good ....
and a guide outfit is required....
I waited to long to go in a hunt. Now I am old and probably couldn't do a hunt I would be happy with. My advice to everyone... don't wait! Jump in and do it before you get like me.

I posted earlier about saving up points but will clarify that I personally wouldn't and didn't. I used my 6 Wyoming points two years ago and had a great time and shot a 290" bull. Mark L said he wanted a 320" and that's why I recommended him to save up points. I enjoyed my trip and had a wonderful experience and I don't think it would have been better if I shot a bigger bull.

Attachments

• 66511109-F54A-4321-B009-2BA9B22ED503.jpeg
    66511109-F54A-4321-B009-2BA9B22ED503.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 338
The most honest answer I ever got from an outfitter when I tried to pin him down for the odds of me collecting on a nice elk in the high mountains of Wyoming, Montana, or Idaho was that a hunter should expect shot opportunity on a 315+ bull once every three years. I've beat the odds and taken my bull early on each hunt, but that was with lots of preparation and PHYSICAL CONDITIONING. Looking around the camps showed he was right in that 1/3 of the hunters had the opportunity to connect with a great elk.

Keep saving.320" is a tall order.I don't know of an outfitter that would guarantee that...Best possibility prolly a fenced in hunt....
There are plenty of 320 plus bulls in N/W Wy .
What Mark L. needs to worry about is the non res. 10% cap they are going to do.... I'd of applied this year. Good luck if you draw .

Last edited:
I posted earlier about saving up points but will clarify that I personally wouldn't and didn't. I used my 6 Wyoming points two years ago and had a great time and shot a 290" bull. Mark L said he wanted a 320" and that's why I recommended him to save up points. I enjoyed my trip and had a wonderful experience and I don't think it would have been better if I shot a bigger bull.
Was that a guided hunt or DIY....????

You can come hunt Utah and get better than a 320 pretty easy. You'll be 80+ years old when you finally draw tho lol. 20+points to draw my home unit. It's a bummer, I say use the 5 points and go have fun.
Been trying to draw San Juan Elk Ridge for years. Think I have 16 points now. Maybe 17. In 2009 I won a Bookcliffs Roadless hunt at Sportsman's Convention in Salt Lake. A buddy and his brother had mules. We packed in. Had a great time . Lots of bears there.

Been trying to draw San Juan Elk Ridge for years. Think I have 16 points now. Maybe 17. In 2009 I won a Bookcliffs Roadless hunt at Sportsman's Convention in Salt Lake. A buddy and his brother had mules. We packed in. Had a great time . Lots of bears there.
Yeah I am from the San Juan Elk Ridge unit (Blanding) and it takes a lot of points to draw. I had a buddy whose dad just drew with only 13 points but that was simply luck. Most people will need the full 20+ to get a tag.
Congrats on the Bookcliffs hunt! That's awesome that you won a tag. I try every year but I have poor luck in drawing tags.