Wyoming Guided Elk Hunt 2023

Totally get it and agree!!! If you're happy with it then it's a trophy! And that coupled with an in the moment experience is a home run! My old deer hunting friend back in Virginia had a mantra he would recite when he saw a deer "deer + horns = bang". That evolved to he/we shoot what gives us joy not score. That will be my game plan for my upcoming WY elk hunt.

Still looking for a wall tent camp for rent - if you have ideas/contacts again I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone for all the replies, they are really helpful. I think the thread got off track a little. Let me clarify. I did check a box off my bucket list and killed a really nice elk in New Mexico. It's a trophy to me no doubt and I wouldn't trade the experience for the world.

I chose to euro mount and not shoulder mount him and saved the hide for later. I've always wanted an elk in the fire place and just used the 320" as a example of an approx size for what I've always dreamed about.

We can go on for pages about "what's a trophy" but I was just quizzing about points to plan ahead. Looks like I'll keep playing the draws and save my points. Hopefully point creep get me too bad. 😁

322E31A4-F4DB-4823-BC44-48F95DC4BE1B.jpeg
9FEB1405-E5D5-4B1D-94CE-5A399C953AA0.jpeg

I have been on many elk hunts in Wyoming,Montana , and New Mexico since around 1995. When an outfitter asks me what I am looking for I usually say "First available " or "Representative animal". We all get a laugh but it's true!! Have a few bruisers and some nice ones but struck out many times. BUT all the hunts were great adventures and I wish I could do it all over again!

I don't think any of us wod ever turn down a monster elk. But my belief is you earn almost every bull you kill. I've shot elk with a bunch of things, 7rm, 356 Winchester, 12 gauge slug, multiple muzzleloader. I've eaten tag soup some years but for the most part we hunt hard and get lucky i guess. All 9 bulls and 6 cows ive killed are a great memory for me. As im in my 60's now...no telling how many i have left. My wife shot her first bull last year, man was i happy for her. After we got home she was diagnosed wiyh breast cancer. Dont know what's up for her in the future. So next year I'm taking my son in law and step son for their first western hunt. Time to pass on some hunting knowledge. Bottom line .....every elk was a trophy. Even going on one elk for some people is a once in a lifetime deal. Enjoy it men. Looking back.....there are a bunch on rag horns i wish I'd have shot. Lol. They're all trophies

I don't think any of us wod ever turn down a monster elk. But my belief is you earn almost every bull you kill. I've shot elk with a bunch of things, 7rm, 356 Winchester, 12 gauge slug, multiple muzzleloader. I've eaten tag soup some years but for the most part we hunt hard and get lucky i guess. All 9 bulls and 6 cows ive killed are a great memory for me. As im in my 60's now...no telling how many i have left. My wife shot her first bull last year, man was i happy for her. After we got home she was diagnosed wiyh breast cancer. Dont know what's up for her in the future. So next year I'm taking my son in law and step son for their first western hunt. Time to pass on some hunting knowledge. Bottom line .....every elk was a trophy. Even going on one elk for some people is a once in a lifetime deal. Enjoy it men. Looking back.....there are a bunch on rag horns i wish I'd have shot. Lol. They're all trophies
Absolutely enjoy every one!!! I've been on 2, and Lord willin my 3rd this fall. I've gotten to go with dad both times, and there are great memories with each hunt. Being from the East, anytime I get out West is great!
Scooter

I posted earlier about saving up points but will clarify that I personally wouldn't and didn't. I used my 6 Wyoming points two years ago and had a great time and shot a 290" bull. Mark L said he wanted a 320" and that's why I recommended him to save up points. I enjoyed my trip and had a wonderful experience and I don't think it would have been better if I shot a bigger bull.
Nice bull...good for you!!!

Thanks everyone for all the replies, they are really helpful. I think the thread got off track a little. Let me clarify. I did check a box off my bucket list and killed a really nice elk in New Mexico. It's a trophy to me no doubt and I wouldn't trade the experience for the world.

I chose to euro mount and not shoulder mount him and saved the hide for later. I've always wanted an elk in the fire place and just used the 320" as a example of an approx size for what I've always dreamed about.

We can go on for pages about "what's a trophy" but I was just quizzing about points to plan ahead. Looks like I'll keep playing the draws and save my points. Hopefully point creep get me too bad. 😁

View attachment 371897View attachment 371898
Nice bull!

Looking for a unit in colorado for self guided elk hunt size not important cow or bull otc rifle season I went 2 times unit4 no success lol

Contact circle C outfitters in sw Colorado. Awesome people...the guides help out the non guided hunters at night. Show them how to get into areas to hunt. Id never seen anything like that. We were successful there.