Guided elk hunt

Thompsonj

So I'm wanting to go on a guide elk hunt in the coming years. I have zero preference points in any state for elk. Curious if anyone on here has any recommendations for a Outfitter with little to no preference points. Been looking in Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. I know New Mexico you can purchase a hunt and landowner tag, but that's going to be out of my price range.

In most cases, but not all if you do a DIY hunt or even if you find an area where it's over the counter tags even with an outfitter, your chances are very small in being successful. Thus, you may have to go multiple times to be successful, which in the long run it may be more expensive than doing say a landowner tag like New Mexico right off the bat. Just my experience anyway.

I've been leaning towards New Mexico. One would think using a Outfitter would up your chances. If they do they're work on their end, they should know where the eld are year round
Let's put it like this. Six of us just returned from a New Mexico elk hunt and we killed six bulls. Not to hard to figure it out…100%. Good luck and if I can assist you any let me know.

Without any preference points your options are either an over the counter tag or a landowner tag. Colorado, Idaho, Utah, Oregon, and Washington have some form of over the counter tags but the units are they are issued in have quite a few hunters competing for a limited resource. Landowner tags have become a sellers market since the onset of the pandemic. I would advise you to pick a couple of states and apply for preference points and be patient and hopefully with 2-3 points you can get a chance at a decent unit. If time is a constraint, then I would follow Rick Richards advise and shop for a landowner tag in New Mexico or Colorado. It's the old adage of buy once cry once.

I haven't done any guided hunts but from my experience Wyoming is impossible to get elk tags without lots of preference points and the greedy state they are is very expensive. Colorado has over the counter bull tags and cow elk tags are a draw but we draw most of the time with no preference points.
I'll ask a question.... Does a state with easier draw options have cheaper guided hunts than harder to get tag states?

I would suggest that you reach out to Eric Rogers at Desert Mesa Outfitters outside of Ft Stockton Texas. In Texas Elk are not considered a game animal so you don't need any points. These guys are a great outfit. Just got back from shooting a 9 year old Bull Elk and couldn't be happier. All of the hunts are free ranging, low fence ranches.

Attachments

• DSCN1031.JPG
    DSCN1031.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 275
I know there are a couple different units in eastern Wyoming that always have leftover cow tags. I believe area 6 is one of them. Just about have to go with an outfitter because lack of public ground. That's the reason for the leftovers. Find Mo Forbes on Facebook and see if he can help you.