Wyoming Elk Drawing

Dirty Steve

Draw results are now posted to the Wyoming Fish and Game page. I just checked a few minutes ago and drew a GEN tag.

Good luck to everyone else that tried.

Dirty Steve

We usually hunt in units 81 and 83. Either the first week and a half or last week and a half of the season. It seems like we draw every other year.

I have been following the various threads about wolf vs. elk and moose populations and can say that the moose population in those areas is not even worth hunting anymore. In the past, we commonly saw several moose per day in those areas, and have been fortunate enough over the years to draw 4 tags in the area and kill 4 moose. I have 6 preference poinst now and would not even consider applying for another moose tag in either area.

Dirty Steve, I hate to give you more bad info about the wolf problem but a pack of wolves set up residence in the Gros Ventre drainage in late fall and have been hammering the elk at all the feed stations on the Gros Ventre. Not only have there been significant losses from direct predation but also a heavy toll has been and will continue to be taken throughout late winter from stress. The elk are being continually chased off those feed stations and running back and forth between them trying to escape the everpresent killers. Every ounce of energy counts significantly to animals wintering in this country. Our hunting money has helped establish feed stations so the big game animals have easy feed which drastically reduces stress loss. They eat and bed down without being chased around in other words. The elk now just run between feed stations trying to escape the wolves until winter takes it's toll.

81,82, and 83 is where I planned to backpack hunt this year. After seeing what is happening up there this winter I have had to change my plans and will be going to Colorado or hope to draw a tag in an area with less wolf predation. It has been good country in the past but with that pack of wolves on the feed stations I am sure it will suffer greatly and you will see very different elk hunting opportunities this year. It is a shame and it hurts to lose such a beautiful national forest hunting area with the great opportunity it has provided in the past. Words can't describe how livid mad it makes me to see what our hunting monies have built through the years go down the drain because some illiterate idiot wants wolves instead of our big game animals in the hills.

Another pack has been hammering the elk refuge around Jackson along with several isolated wolves following the elk herds down from Yellowstone. It is not only the ones they directly kill but the bulls in particular die from stress in winter from a combination of poor condition after the rut and then getting chased around by the wolves in their protected feeding sanctuary our hunting money has set up for them at Jackson.

Good luck on your hunt and while you are up here in this country I hope we can count on your group to do your part in helping alleviate this problem.

Wyoming Shooter,

We have always hunted with friends out of the Elk Track or from a tent camp over in Cottonwood near Sohaire. We saw a pack in that area (81) in 2006. The S-S-S method of predator control was very tempting back then, maybe more so now.

If the area has been hit that hard this winter, we may not hunt it this year. We have other options, but know that area inside and out and have really enjoyed it over the years.

Dirty Steve

I have backpacked all that cottonwood creek drainage from the Gros Ventre to the main highway on the north side. Wonderful country. I am very concerned about it now though with all the wolf problems on the wintering grounds this winter. Seems to be a lot more wolves and much worse this year. I hope you have a great hunt up there and hopefully it will not be as bad as it looks right now. Since you know it so well I would try it this year and see what it looks like. If you don't mind private message me or something after your hunt and let me know about any change in numbers of big game animals this year from your previous trips. Thanks.

this is my third year in a row without success. very disappointing as i was sure i would get one this year. i guess it's Colorado and an OTC tag.

No elk for me in WY this year. I will hopefully be chasing the Mule Deer again in the BigHorns.

Like clockwork, we have been able to draw GEN tags every other year. I guess we are just lucky in Wyoming. New Mexico on the other hand, has been a different story as far as lucking into drawing a tag.

Dirty Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.