1,037 Yard Elk in Wyoming

How does the .416 Barret round compare to the 408 Chey Tac or the 338 Allen Mag? A 400grn bullet at 3,250fps is amazing.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to shoot a few rounds through a .408 Chey Tac... Awesome... That ammo was just spire-pointed lathe-turned bullets, but man, I'd love to see some kind of hollow point for it.

Great job, and I heartily concur with your choice of cartridge for elk so far out... Congrats!

I don't believe that brass bullet would expand, even on the front leg of an elk. Not trying to cause a fuss or stir up the hornet's nest. If you hit them through both shoulders or through the spine like you did, even a full metal jacket or armor piercing tip will take them down.

Nice shooting and thanks for sharing your hunt. Nice looking bull too. Pictures really tell the story and are always great!

I don't believe that brass bullet would expand, even on the front leg of an elk. Not trying to cause a fuss or stir up the hornet's nest. If you hit them through both shoulders or through the spine like you did, even a full metal jacket or armor piercing tip will take them down.

Nice shooting and thanks for sharing your hunt. Nice looking bull too. Pictures really tell the story and are always great!

Agreed. The elk is dead, but you might want to check with regulations to make sure that bullet is legal. If it's not, you might want to pull that pic from the web!
I know in Utah, the rules state that you must use an expanding (non-full metal jacket) bullet to be legal. The brass solids and army ball ammo a lot of guys use in their .50's are illegal and the fish and game WILL write you a stiff ticket if they catch you with FMJ's in the field.

Thank you for the heads up. I shall take your advice. I had the conversation with the owner before I decided to accept the offer of the .416. I think your advice is well considered.

From Wy G and F site....

BIG AND TROPHY GAME. Legal firearms for BIG or TROPHY GAME must have a barrel bore diameter of at least 23/100 of an inch and be chambered to fire a centerfire cartridge not less than two inches overall length including a soft or expanding point bullet seated to a normal depth; or a muzzleloading rifle which has a barrel bore diameter of at least 40/100 of an inch and a charge of at least 50 grains of black powder or equivalent (Pyrodex), or a muzzle-loading specialty single shot handgun which has a barrel length of not less than ten (10) inches, a bore diameter of at least 45/100 of an inch and which propels a projectile of two hundred forty (240) grains at not less than five hundred (500) foot pounds at one hundred (100) yards.

In addition, a hunter may use any other cartridge fired from a firearm that has a barrel bore diameter of at least thirty-five hundredths (.35) of an inch and the cartridge generally delivers at least five hundred (500) ft-pounds of impact at one hundred (100) yards and cartridges used are loaded with a lead, soft, or expanding point bullet.

It is ILLEGAL to use that bullet here...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts