Wyoming Area 81 for antelope?

archer441

My middle son and I are planning an antelope hunt in Wyoming this fall. We are looking for public land with a decent chance of drawing tags with a reasonable chance for him to kill an average buck. I am planning on just getting a doe tag.
Would area 81 be a good choice? Or what area around Cody would you recommend?
Thanks,
Larry

Go here to see draw odds from last year: https://wgfdrawdocs.azurewebsites.net/docs/2019DRAWINGODDS_Ant_RegRandom_NonRes.pdf
For non resident antelope they show 5 permits available and 122 people used it as their first choice. So your draw odds last year were 4%. Likely be similar this year. So no that is not a good unit. On the Wy G@F website there will be an interactive map with WY antelope units.. You can expand it to see public land. Look through the draw odds above and then cross reference for the availability of public land.
Bruce

Thanks for the info gillettehunter and 0G10! I'll look at the draw results and see what I come up with. So far 102 looks promising.

Cagfd101 and anyone else interested, I reviewed the draw results and the areas that had more tags than applicants last year are 8, 10, 15, 17, 19, 20, 23, 24, 29, 102, 109. (I may have missed one or two) From there, I just looked at onX map app to see which areas had accessible public land.
Haven't applied yet, but looking at 8 & 29.

Cagfd101 and anyone else interested, I reviewed the draw results and the areas that had more tags than applicants last year are 8, 10, 15, 17, 19, 20, 23, 24, 29, 102, 109. (I may have missed one or two) From there, I just looked at onX map app to see which areas had accessible public land.

Thanks for the information! I think I am going to attempt to get at least an additional doe tag or two so we can maximize the meat haul for the drive. I have to do some research into licensing for kids as well.

Been hunting Wyoming lopes since 2007 and usually draw every year.
The 29 odds you may have looked at are for "type 2" tags which are private land only. The type 1 tags there was over 100 first choice applicants for 4 tags. Having made these mistakes in the past, my suggestion is for you to go to the Wyoming G & F website and go to the "Hunt planner". Most of your questions will be answered there and draw odds for each unit will be available as you proceed. Without preference points the 100% draw odds for area with accessible public land is limited. If you apply with the special draw (more money) you will find more opportunity.
Also the 102 area mentioned earlier has public land available in the big horn national forest but not the real antelope habitat of that unit. Most of the antelope in 102 live on private land also.
Thanks for the information! I think I am going to attempt to get at least an additional doe tag or two so we can maximize the meat haul for the drive. I have to do some research into licensing for kids as well.
Same suggestion see the Hunt Planner, real informative with also the doe tag info. The interactive maps are great to work with.

Good luck in your choice & draws,
Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.