Wyoming antelope Area 24?

ATH

3-4 guys, plan would be 2-3 goats apiece then fill out the week prairie dog hunting. Tags look pretty easy to get for this unit and we always saw a ton from the freeway driving into Gilette on the way to Montana for elk hunts.

There looks to be a decent amount of public land...any experiences or insights into this unit?

There has been a few posts over the last few yrs about antelope in this general region. 24 is not a bad area. Your biggest issue is to find public land to hunt on. All of these units around Gillette are 70-90 percent private. Some public land/schoolhouse sections are "landlocked". That is you can't get to them without crossing private property. My suggestion is always to come in a few days early and be sure your set up on your animal early on opening day. 24 has good numbers of goats and decent access. Not a bad place to go. Good luck. Bruce

Thanks for the reply. I had not gotten as far as to get into mapping access routes to public land. Any suggestions to better options are welcome, we are not committed to 24.

24 is a good unit. Check out the access so you know what is available. I think it has more public than 23. The populations are decent there. Better than 17-18. See what access looks like and plan accordingly. Bruce

24 is a good unit. Check out the access so you know what is available. I think it has more public than 23. The populations are decent there. Better than 17-18. See what access looks like and plan accordingly. Bruce

Thanks, the local insight is appreciated.

We hunted 16 this year. Most of the antelope we saw were on private land, of course, but we got our doe.

If you haven't thought about it, get the GPS maps:
Hunting GPS Maps - Public/Private Land Ownership names for your GPS
They make the trip immeasurably easier.

I bought the one that goes on your home computer too, and used that to pre-scout before we left. As a result I knew ahead of time where I wanted to go. In addition, having the maps on your auto Garmin REALLY helps as you drive around. We didn't even use our handheld Garmin for antelope hunting.

The DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer maps are good paper maps if you want them, or if you stay Unit specific the Hunting GPS site sells paper (well, laminated paper) maps for WY antelope units.

Good luck!

24 not a good area for out of towner. It's not the best area for me and I live here. Not enough public land. I can tag out every year but it's hit or miss. Basically drive to each postage stamp of public land then drive to the next. If someone was there before you the lopes be gone. Some of the larger chunks don't have lopes on them.

24 not a good area for out of towner. It's not the best area for me and I live here. Not enough public land. I can tag out every year but it's hit or miss. Basically drive to each postage stamp of public land then drive to the next. If someone was there before you the lopes be gone. Some of the larger chunks don't have lopes on them.

Any suggestions on a better area? Would prefer centering on the northeast corner of the state and working out from there, as our easiest travel route enters the state there.

MTA: It didn't take much searching to find nothing but bad news on unit 23...

Last edited:
Between Moorcroft and Newcastle seems to have good numbers. Areas 4,5,6 and 7. Access may be a bit better with more public land. Bruce

Thanks; draws look pretty hard there and quotas in most of those units are very low. Looked at the map and unit 23 to the west of 24 looks to have much larger tracts of public land but I don't remember what that terrain looks like or if we saw antelope there...quota is 10X as high as the single digit units.

23 is predominantly private ranches with the only real chunk of easily accessible public land being the BLM up in the nw corner of the unit along with a WIHA along Beaver Creek up there. The problem is that the area gets pounded heavily because every NR that hasn't done their homework ends up in that area.

Top gun is correct. Lots of permits. Mostly private. A good part of the Beaver creek area is more mule deer country than antelope. The East side of it has some antelope..... For the first 2 hrs of the season. Then they tend to move. Bruce

Thanks guys. After looking at draw numbers I think an any-antelope tag in unit 6 would be a pretty solid bet, then leftover doe tags for unit 24. The other single-digit units look like pretty tough draws. Even in 23 and 24 the success rates are extraordinary...especially compared to the 10-15% rates for elk where we've gone previous years and spent a lot more money!

I need to get some maps ordered.

Dang, maybe another state I need to start thinking of building points in....

I realize this thread is somewhat old, but being as the 2015 season is what is being discussed, I figured I would jump in.

We ranch in Unit 24 and aslo guide and sell trespass rights for antelope. As has been stated, finding ground to hunt can be problematic unless one has done their homework beforehand. There are quite a few state sections available to hunt, but many times they are landlocked, making access very difficult. Because of oil and gas activity, many of these state sections will have gravel roads and 'two-tracks' going through them. Too many times though, the rules surrounding established two-tracks get abused and ranchers will find misplaced hunters on these two-tracks that were literally not there the day before.

Ranchers often get a bad wrap from hunters, but people tend to not see things from his side. He is out there taking care of this land all year long and through his efforts of being a good steward for his livestock and the land, wildlife also enjoys a healthy population. He is the one who is out there picking up the trash after season is over and it is him who is repairing the damage left behind by the few bad apples. Because of the river frontage on our place, this particular area is not productive for bowhunting, but I can't even begin to count the antelope I have seen after season that were toting an arrow from a hail mary shot that should have never been attempted.

We will also get our share of habitual trespassers who tend to think we forget faces and bs stories from one year to the next. Believe it or not, we do actually try to help people and we appreciate the ethical hunters. Myself and just about every other rancher I know, tries to manage the wildlife herds so that the population is healthy with quality animals. A few years ago we had some night hunters come down the road on the backside of our place and they dropped over 30 antelope and left them laying. Crap like that is inexcusable and thankfully, the punks were caught.

I have seen it mentioned that most ranchers in this area will let hunters in to harvest doe and fawn for free. I haven't necessarily known that to be the case around here. It probably happens to some extent, but I would not count on that being the norm. Since we came out of the drought and have been trying to recover, many ranchers are limiting the antelope harvests on their land to bucks only. We allow our paying hunters to harvest a buck of their choice and if they wish to harvest a second animal, it is strictly limited to a management buck. We have a few people who come and help around the ranch throughout the year and they get access to the whole ranch, but only after all paying hunters are finished with their hunts. These hunters are all out just for the meat, so in helping with our herd management, they agree to harvest only the lesser quality management bucks.

On this side of Area 24, we usually have a good herd to choose from until about the second week of season. By then though, the herd has been jostled and stirred so much they start seeking refuge over on the coalmines. Two years ago on our state section land, I counted 20 hunters on opening morning. I honestly don't know how people kept from being shot. Pressure like that puts the goats on the move in a hurry.

It isn't hard to possibly gain access to some private ground, but it does take some work. First, Don't ask for access after the rancher has caught you inadvertantly trespassing. He will figure, if you aren't smart enough to know where the lines are, he don't really want you on his property. Second, you will have to wait until the rancher has all of his paying hunters gone. Be sure to ask what his trespass fee is. All of the people wanting a 'freebie' have already asked and been turned down. Third, don't get your hopes up. It may take him a year or two to get to know you. We see alot of the same hunters year after year and when allowing access to hunters, it WILL go to the guys we know best.

Most ranchers are pretty easy going and friendly, but due to the nature of their occupation, they can spot BS almost immediately. Be honest and friendly, but try not to expect too much immediately. Building relationships can take time. The rewards are usually worth it though.

A slightly related little side story -

I am a sucker when it comes to helping kids get started in hunting. There has been many times when I will interrupt what I am doing in order to take a kid out hunting. That is one of those type deals that gives me that good feeling way down deep, if you know what I mean. Now, we have some of those same kids that are able to hunt on their own and they come back every year to get their goat.

Anyhow, we have this one section of lease pasture that is hunted every year by the nephew of the owners. Every year, this person would come and ask for access to the whole ranch and if the client hunters were gone, we would usually let him and whoever was with him. That all came to a screeching halt one year though and he lost access from then on.

He came to the door and asked the Hostile Native if he, his brother in law and his nephew could have full access. He told her that it was his nephew's first hunt and they would like to get him a good buck. Her being like me and liking to help the kids, she agreed.

In just a little while, she hears a shot and decides to head out after a bit to see if the kid had got the good buck she had told them about. When she gets out there, she sees the kid at the truck with a puny little buck that wasn't even worth taking a picture of, and then she spies Dad and Uncle out in the pasture trying to put the sneak on the good buck. She had granted permission so the kid would have a shot at getting the good buck, but Dad and Uncle got selfish and put the kid on a dink so they could go after the good one.

I don't call her the Hostile Native for nothing. Tearing across the pasture she goes. She sent the good buck and all of his does scattering to the nether regions and then she commenced to ripping some tail. She made them admit to knowing she had granted access in order for the boy to get the good buck. They next admitted they were simply being selfish. And to top it off, they acknowledged the fact that they were to never ask for full access again.

These guys could have went and harvested any buck they wanted, just as long as they had made sure to help the kid get the good one. It just blows my mind though why they would even consider trying to outdo the kid on his first hunt, especially when a really nice and easy buck was thrown right in their laps.

Have a good day.
Tex

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.