Wyoming antelope Area 100-7

jmsdad

My 11yr old son and I got drawn for reduced antelope doe/fawn tags in Area 100. We're looking to spend time in the two management areas ( Medicine Butte and Bear River Divide).

Does anyone have info on Area 100? I'll call the biologist when I have some free time next week. Not sure if opening day will be better or 1-2 weeks into the season. I hear it can be a zoo on opening day, but better odds since antelopes are not spooked yet, therefore you can get closer to them. We plan to spend 3-4days hunting and can be in Wyoming during opening day/week or later towards the end of Sept. Thanks in advance for any help...

I usually prefer to hunt antelope early. If you have a day or two to scout and be in place first thing opening AM. Usually works. Other hunters can spook your animals. Just part of the game. Later season long range shots happen more frequently. Good luck. Bruce

I'm just the opposite and would much prefer to hunt later in the season unless I'm going to be there for the entire season. You may want to think about having a more laid back hunt with your boy by going later in the season to avoid a lot of orange, especially since it's just for a doe/fawn hunt that shouldn't be that hard compared to trying to take a good buck.

Thanks for the replies...no scouting for us because we're from CA and can't do so. We'll look at the forecast and plan accordingly to be there later in the month.

We definately want a laid back, relaxed hunt & father/son bonding time. I assume most hunters are there for opening day/weekend and less hunters on the second and third week?

Thanks for the replies...no scouting for us because we're from CA and can't do so. We'll look at the forecast and plan accordingly to be there later in the month.

We definately want a laid back, relaxed hunt & father/son bonding time. I assume most hunters are there for opening day/weekend and less hunters on the second and third week?

***Correct assumption! Generally after the first week there are very few people out other than an occasional resident. The longer you wait to go, the less people you'll see. Have fun with the boy and be safe out there!!!

I assume area 100 for non-residents is the same as area 100 for residents? I grew up 10 miles north of Evanston but this is my first time hunting the area in 6-7 years. My whole family drew out this year, 7 tags between the 5 of us (Me, wife, mom, dad, and sister).

I think opening day crowds will be slightly down due to it being a Tuesday instead of say a Saturday... that being said, we will all be there for opening day :)

It does help you're only after does/fawns, I would think you should be successful anytime you choose. :)

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.