WSM & RSAUM Owners: Please help me! (re: DBM systems)

Do you have any experience with the WSM/RSAUM with a DBM system? (multiple choice)

• No, never used the WSM/RSAUM

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I've used/use the WSM/RSAUM, but only in single shot / internal box mag

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • I've used/use the WSM/RSAUM with NON-AI mags and DO NOT suggest it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've used/use the WSM/RSAUM with NON-AI mags and it works for me

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I've used/use the WSM/RSAUM with AI mags and DO NOT suggest it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've used/use the WSM/RSAUM with AI mags and it works for me

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters

Haagen Dazs

I thought I had it all figured out: a 7mm WSM build into an AICS long action for the 180gn Bergers, however, after my first visit to one of our most renowned gunsmiths, I have been told by 2 of the employees that the WSM (or any short mag) just won't feed from any detachable box mag, ESPECIALLY the AI mags....

So before I scrap the idea of a WSM and look into a 280AI or 284, I'm asking for personal experience with the WSM/RSAUM in the AI mags, or any detachable mag system.

Thanks for the help!

I bought an "M5 Stealth" from Stocky's and it works really well. I think mostly because it is a center feed magazine.

Mine is a short action, and not technically a WSM. It is a wildcat based off of a WSM case shortened .2" then the bullets are seated to SA mag. length.

I would think that you could use a LA set-up with a 300 Win. Mag. magazine and that would work. The problem, as I understand it, is that the AICS mags. have a "rib" in them that interferes with the shoulder of the case and that is why they won't work with the RUM's.

However, your WSM should be plenty short at the shoulder that this should not interfere. Also, the "Stealth" magazines don't have these so it really won't be a problem there.

I shoot a Tikka T3 for my light weight carry gun in a 270 wsm and my wife shoots a browning a-bolt stalker in 270 wsm and have had no issues with feeding from the magazines on either. I also own two A-bolts in 223 and 243 wssm and thos i have had issues with feeding. i have tried 3 mags in these two and have not been able to get them to feed well with 4 different bullets each. Hope this help it may be a wssm thing and not a wsm issue.

A buddy of mine has a 7saum built on a Stiller short action in a Manners T2 with the chassis system. He uses AI mags and they have functioned flawlessly with the 180hybrids.

Haagen Dazs,
I had PGW build me a 7wsm on a Coyote(short) action. While they use their own proprietary magazine it fuctions flawlessly, they have also built many 300wsms in the same configuration without any issues.

I think this is one of those situations where at one time they may have had a feeding issue but that has long since been ironed out. The Ackleys(and every other 30* or 40* shoulder case) all had the same "apparent" problem but any competent gunsmith can easily resolve these issues or get the components that work right away.
I think I know which smith you are talking about and he is a very good one. Did he tell you that specifically or someone else?

Ivo

I have a Tikka T3 being rebarrelled to 7mm SAUM and will go into a Roedale RCS 2 stock. I have bought an Alpha type 3 mag for this, I hope it works!

I need to be able to vote for more than one! :D

Lazzeroni 7.82 Patriot- Factory Internal Magazine

Stiller Short Action in 6.5WSM- Single Shot

Stiller Short Action in 7mm-RSAUM- Manners T-5 with mini chassis. Alpha mags are working but seem to be a hit/miss scenario.

Alpha Mags - Sniper's Hide Forums

Usually a competent individual can do the necessary tweeking to the mag lips to get them to feed correctly.

I have a 300WSM Vanguard/Howa with B&C medalist stock with CDI DBM system and it works great.

Haagen Dazs,
I had PGW build me a 7wsm on a Coyote(short) action. While they use their own proprietary magazine it fuctions flawlessly, they have also built many 300wsms in the same configuration without any issues.

I think this is one of those situations where at one time they may have had a feeding issue but that has long since been ironed out. The Ackleys(and every other 30* or 40* shoulder case) all had the same "apparent" problem but any competent gunsmith can easily resolve these issues or get the components that work right away.
I think I know which smith you are talking about and he is a very good one. Did he tell you that specifically or someone else?

Ivo

Thanks for the great info! The gunsmith I was talking about is ATRS, not exactly a smith as they are a manufacturer. Next time I go in I should bring a dummy round and see how well it fits the mags they have on hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.