Wow! Anyone seen this? Remington Corelok

Over the decades, I, and many others, have occasionally seen this in several types of mass produced, factory brass. Some years seemed to be better or worse than others. For most hunting applications, it did not make much difference in our hunting loads, but usually, we would cull them out. Over 50+ years of reloading, I think I bent 2 decapping pins due to flash holes that were extremely off center, but usually for pick up, factory or once fire purchased brass, I attempt to inspect the hole alignment.

Well. A lot of people told me it wouldn't effect much. So I loaded them and tested them to see for myself. The offset flash hole brass shot like crap. Granted the "good" load isn't a bug hole. This is my tree stand gun that I only shoot 100 yards or less with normally so I just load worked it up to a rough inch and called that good.

The control group with normal brass shot 1.02" CTC.

The offset flash hole brass shot 2.12" and strung vertically.

If you notice one of the flash holes isn't as far offset as the other two. And one bullet hit near the center and two way off. I dont think that is a coincidence. So those brass went in the trash. That is not acceptable for my hunting standards. Not even at 100 yards.
1C03665C-BEB1-4135-BE27-8EABF737DCD9.jpeg
0B6AC121-C549-4F45-899D-5EFE05CEF5E0.jpeg
11E15EDB-92AC-4537-B7D5-C0C7F46A26F6.jpeg

Well. A lot of people told me it wouldn't effect much. So I loaded them and tested them to see for myself. The offset flash hole brass shot like crap. Granted the "good" load isn't a bug hole. This is my tree stand gun that I only shoot 100 yards or less with normally so I just load worked it up to a rough inch and called that good.

If you notice one of the flash holes isn't as far offset as the other two. And one bullet hit near the center and two way off. I dont think that is a coincidence. So those brass went in the trash. That is not acceptable for my hunting standards. Not even at 100 yards. View attachment 455206View attachment 455207View attachment 455208
How many groups did you shoot?

It looks like that group would be plus on minus roughly 1 inch from point of aim at 100 yards. So for your limit of 150 yards it's not even worth worrying about. But it's perfectly fine to chuck them if you want.

If you notice one of the flash holes isn't as far offset as the other two. And one bullet hit near the center and two way off. I dont think that is a coincidence. So those brass went in the trash. That is not acceptable for my hunting standards. Not even at 100 yards. View attachment 455206View attachment 455207View attachment 455208
Very interesting! Thanks for the results

It looks like that group would be plus on minus roughly 1 inch from point of aim at 100 yards. So for your limit of 150 yards it's not even worth worrying about. But it's perfectly fine to chuck them if you want.
Yeah. They'd probably be fine for just deer that close but I always want the best accuracy I can manage. You never know when a coyote, bobcat, or some other smaller target may present itself that I'd have regretted taking those sub par cases with me. Just easier to toss them. But I did want to see for myself what effect they had.

My point was one group doesn't really prove anything. I have a 30-06 that grouped around 1.5-2.0 inches at 100 yards. but at 300 yards is still grouped 1-5-2.0 inches. One gunsmith believed that it was due to the bullets not fully stabilizing at 100 yards, but then stabilized further down range. Litz believes it more likely due to a parallax issue with the scope. Either way if you're comfortable getting rid of the brass that's perfectly fine also. After all it's your time and money.

My point was one group doesn't really prove anything. I have a 30-06 that grouped around 1.5-2.0 inches at 100 yards. but at 300 yards is still grouped 1-5-2.0 inches. One gunsmith believed that it was due to the bullets not fully stabilizing at 100 yards, but then stabilized further down range. Litz believes it more likely due to a parallax issue with the scope. Either way if you're comfortable getting rid of the brass that's perfectly fine also. After all it's your time and money.
Yeah. I've read a lot about that. I lean to Litz's way. Physics will tell you that it's not possible for bullets to shoot a 2" group at 100 yards and then those same bullets still land in a 2" group at 300 yards because they are skewing outward at such an angle that it's not possible for them to come back inward. And I'm not saying your rifle doesn't shoot that way. I believe you but I believe it's most likely a parallax or other scope issue. I know I've held several scopes that have yardage marks on the parallax/focus knob and the numbers do not match the parallax. Vortex in particular. I have a couple of the vipers and when you move them to focus the image at a known distance the numbers match the distance but they are not parallax free. To get the scope parallax minimized I have to adjust them where the image is blurry. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I've never really had a problem with most other brands though. I imagine those 2" at 100 yards bullets if caught on paper at 300 yards would be more like 6" and those 2" at 300 yards bullets if caught on paper at 100 would be more like 3/4".

Anyways. Yeah I threw those 3 brass away. I don't have bullets or powder to waste seeing if I can some how pull those brass into order when I have more brass that is in good order and shoots fine.

Last edited:
I think......therefore most never listen...

Maybe those flashholes are like the spark plugs you are supposed to position at an exact spot to get the 'best firing'.....

😆 🤣 😂

Yeah. I've read a lot about that. I lean to Litz's way. Physics will tell you that it's not possible for bullets to shoot a 2" group at 100 yards and then those same bullets still land in a 2" group at 300 yards because they are skewing outward at such an angle that it's not possible for them to come back inward. And I'm not saying your rifle doesn't shoot that way. I believe you but I believe it's most likely a parallax or other scope issue. I know I've held several scopes that have yardage marks on the parallax/focus knob and the numbers do not match the parallax. Vortex in particular. I have a couple of the vipers and when you move them to focus the image at a known distance the numbers match the distance but they are not parallax free. To get the scope parallax minimized I have to adjust them where the image is blurry. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I've never really had a problem with most other brands though. I imagine those 2" at 100 yards bullets if caught on paper at 300 yards would be more like 6" and those 2" at 300 yards bullets if caught on paper at 100 would be more like 3/4".

Anyways. Yeah I threw those 3 brass away. I don't have bullets or powder to waste seeing if I can some how pull those brass into order when I have more brass that is in good order and shoots fine.
There are plenty of variable that could explain it including the stability or parallax. Shooter error or this rifle shoots better warm than cold. It's not a matter of a parallax knob matching distance since the scope doesn't have a parallax knob. Maybe my rifle "seats" itself better in the stock after shooting a few rounds. The only way you'll know if a certain variable works is repeatable testing. One sample doesn't prove anything, that's the point. That 30-06 I spoke about is a factory Winchester Featherweight M70 that's been tested quite a bit out to 800 yards, and by several shooters. It doesn't have a problem hitting 16 oz water bottles at 450 yards.

There are plenty of variable that could explain it including the stability or parallax. Shooter error or this rifle shoots better warm than cold. It's not a matter of a parallax knob matching distance since the scope doesn't have a parallax knob. Maybe my rifle "seats" itself better in the stock after shooting a few rounds. The only way you'll know if a certain variable works is repeatable testing. One sample doesn't prove anything, that's the point. That 30-06 I spoke about is a factory Winchester Featherweight M70 that's been tested quite a bit out to 800 yards, and by several shooters. It doesn't have a problem hitting 16 oz water bottles at 450 yards.
Oh ok. It's a fixed parallax. It's probably fixed at like 300 yards then if you don't have any parallax issues at 450