Wow! Anyone seen this? Remington Corelok

ShootnMathews

So for my tree stand 30-06 that I load the 125 grain ballistic tips in I just use Remington brass from my dad. Well I grabbed 5 spent cases this morning and deprimed them to see 3 of them like this. Primer flash holes WAY off center. Anyone seen this before? I can see dad saying "hmm I must have pulled that one. And that one. Maybe the guns off?" Miss that man.
98BA8B68-6666-4A11-9D06-6DE323A3B99C.jpeg

Attachments

• 7BEE5887-A7E4-4702-AEE6-9DAFB2C89A2C.jpeg
    7BEE5887-A7E4-4702-AEE6-9DAFB2C89A2C.jpeg
    993.1 KB · Views: 41
I found 1 (don't remember which brand) that you couldn't see through the flash hole. The brass from where the hole was punched had it almost completely blocked but it fired. Don't remember or recall any difference in the shot when fired but wouldn't think it would have been very consistent with the others.
Don't remember having trouble getting the primer out though.

Yeah I've seen it before. I haven't noticed much of a difference when reloading. But that ammo was shot under 900 yards and most shots were under 600 yards. Honestly I haven't seen primers holes off that much in the last twenty years.
Good to know. I was going to pitch them but this is a 0-150 yard load so maybe I'll just keep them.

Benchresters might notice a difference. I check my loads at 100 yards and then shoot them. As long as they shoot minute of rat to 600, or chuck/ yote out to 1k I'm happy.

When I was a little kid, the old retired guys who let me hang around while they were reloading would allow us to learn by sorting and prepping brass. They got free labor and we got a free education. It was Win-Win because later on you got to do some shooting too.

Talk about making a silk purse out of a sow's ear...

Even the GOV's surplus brass was a tedious job best done by little fingers with young eyes.

All of it was awful compared to what we can get today.... but... it taught us many things including how to process junk into the best it could be.

You saw some pretty awful commercial brass from factory ammo back then. High thickness variations, off-center flash holes, material defects, etc., and you couldn't count on a brand name to stay the same year after year. With some Mi-Surp dating back several wars, even that had to be inspected very closely, but on average it was decent.

Of course the difference in those days was how much easier it was to get government surplus brass and range brass with fairly good odds of sorting it to find enough of a single headstamp.

While we can buy much better quality brass these days, younger folks are not being exposed to as much GOV surplus and ranges are far less likely to give up their brass if it is any good. We have it much better in many ways with brass quality, but in other ways the shortages have ruined the advantage.

Recent Posts