WOW!! 338/408 Atacker.

london722

I shot my 338/408 at 2100 yards today. 5 shots, 15 inch group. I have an Xtreme machining action, 30 inch Shaw barrel. I shot Sierra 300gr match kings for sight in and reference. The 5 shots in 15 inches were brass bullets that we designed.

old ford,

Its a fun cartridge isn't it! What kind of velocity did you get from the 30" tube? How heavy were your brass bullets you made up? I have some we made but havent had time for any testing. Details, pics of the rifle!!!

Dave

Is yours just a 408 necked down to 338. I have the reamer and am thinking of a build next year. If I could get 3200 to 3300 fps with the 300's I would be very happy.

Reed,

The guys ive talked with that have a std 338 chey-tac reamer are getting 3150 on average. I dont know what bbl length they are using or powder charges. I suspect 3200 would be a good idea. figure out what bullet your going to use and pick the twist for it. The 300MK likes the 11" twist, 9.4"... 10" work good also. Mine will shoot bug holes with the 11.25" twist, but will not stabilize anything over 300 grns. If you going to shoot bigger then drop the twist to at least 10"

I have lots of info on this wildcat.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.