Would like to get a MATCH M-14 Full Auto

You can buy a new M-4 or other Auto, but that doesn't explain the costs. I believe it's all in the trigger mec that makes the difference. That's what's the selector switch was for. To selecte Safety, Semi Auto and Full Auto. It's my understanding that brand new rifle can be purchase, so why the cost. I can see it on older rifles before 1986 or so year. I know that the seller of firearms have to have a special lic to sell those type of firearms.

While the M-16 was a good rifle, fire control was really important unless in the kill zone of an ambush. It was easy to run out of rounds with only 20 round magazines. Marine expert qualification was not to the standard we expect today. I'm pretty sure mine was about an MOA rifle but the AR15s I own now do much better. I met a guy at the range with a National match M1A who let me shoot it with iron sights. Had not shot one in decades and was pretty proud of myself with an MOA group and my old eyes. Really nice rifle.
He wanted to shoot my Armalite AR10 in exchange. It is scoped though so not really a fair comparison He was competing locally in the CMP matches for fun and doing ok.
Fun times.

You can buy a new M-4 or other Auto, but that doesn't explain the costs. I believe it's all in the trigger mec that makes the difference. That's what's the selector switch was for. To selecte Safety, Semi Auto and Full Auto. It's my understanding that brand new rifle can be purchase, so why the cost. I can see it on older rifles before 1986 or so year. I know that the seller of firearms have to have a special lic to sell those type of firearms.
It is not the cost of the material in the firearm. It is that there a finite # of full auto weapons on the market - Legally. So no more are available to the public unless you are a special security Company.

The law was change so that civilians in the United States can not own full auto firearms manufactured after 1986. You can not just buy a newly manufactured full auto firearm.

That is what controls supply. When supply is limited, as it is with transferable full auto firearms, and demand increases, prices go up.

While the M-16 was a good rifle, fire control was really important unless in the kill zone of an ambush. It was easy to run out of rounds with only 20 round magazines. Marine expert qualification was not to the standard we expect today. I'm pretty sure mine was about an MOA rifle but the AR15s I own now do much better. I met a guy at the range with a National match M1A who let me shoot it with iron sights. Had not shot one in decades and was pretty proud of myself with an MOA group and my old eyes. Really nice rifle.
He wanted to shoot my Armalite AR10 in exchange. It is scoped though so not really a fair comparison He was competing locally in the CMP matches for fun and doing ok.
Fun times.
That's why I carried 45 clips on special team, (2 tape together in my Car-15, 1 in my steel pot, and 6-vanalears, 200 rds of 60, and about 10 or so grenades (M-26's). No baseball one. Better than half the time those baseball wouldn't go off. Never hand that problems with the M-26's. Pitched a lot of the grenades for the unit. Never missed and no time left on the grenade. Also carried a 1911, 3 clips and a box of 50. Plus an M-5 Aid packet. I was a combat medic."D" troop, 3/4 Cav. 25th inf Div. 1969. I was over 6'-2" and gotten down to 155lbs with cloths and boots on. When I went to Vietnam I was @ 210lbs without closes on.
Learn in later years that the smart thing was to put in 2 to 3 tracers at the bottom of the clip to let you know you are running low. I wish I had known that at the start. Constantly I was checking my clip in the rifle for amount of rounds remained in the clip. I carry that many clips for the others to have and use if needed. Being it was a 10 man team and along the Cambodia border a lot.

When, I was, a "Young and Dumb", Gun Smith,.. I TRIED to "Fix" ( Stone / Polish ) My Ruger Mini-14's, Trigger Pull weight, Down to, 2 to 2.5ish Pounds !
All I GOT was,.. a very Reliable,.. "Double Tap" and BOTH, 60 or, 62 grain Bullets were about,.. 3/4 of an Inch, apart @ 100 yds,.. EVERY Time !
OFF to, Ruger,.. it went, as they did not sell, Hammers and Sears !
NO Machine Gun,. IS,. "Accurate enough" for Me, after, 1st shot, let alone, 3rd, 4th or 5th shots BUT,.. GOOD for, the "Spray and Pray" Crowd !
The 3 shot Bursts in Nam, were Popular for, cutting Down,.. the Jungle Brush, tho !
Never seen a 3 shot burst M-16 in Vietnam. If you could control the trigger then you could get it down to 3 shot. While I was qualifing at Fort Sam we had some targets that had a set circels in different lines . Semi circels, L shapes, dieangles lines and a X. We were to shot on full auto at those line. I was about 2" off the lines on the targets I was shooting at. The AR 15 was an easy firearm to handle. Not much recoil or pushing one way or the other. I wish we had cell phones back then. I would have taken picture of it.

That's why I carried 45 clips on special team, (2 tape together in my Car-15, 1 in my steel pot, and 6-vanalears, 200 rds of 60, and about 10 or so grenades (M-26's). No baseball one. Better than half the time those baseball wouldn't go off. Never hand that problems with the M-26's. Pitched a lot of the grenades for the unit. Never missed and no time left on the grenade. Also carried a 1911, 3 clips and a box of 50. Plus an M-5 Aid packet. I was a combat medic."D" troop, 3/4 Cav. 25th inf Div. 1969. I was over 6'-2" and gotten down to 155lbs with cloths and boots on. When I went to Vietnam I was @ 210lbs without closes on.
Learn in later years that the smart thing was to put in 2 to 3 tracers at the bottom of the clip to let you know you are running low. I wish I had known that at the start. Constantly I was checking my clip in the rifle for amount of rounds remained in the clip. I carry that many clips for the others to have and use if needed. Being it was a 10 man team and along the Cambodia border a lot.
When I was in the Marines we trained in a heavy vegetation course (25-50 yrds), and they had electronic (or string pulled) pop-up targets looking like NVA or black PJs. Had to shoot full auto on the course. Pretty easy with a M16. Much rather semi auto.
I also had a 1911 with everything else since I was a NCO. I was an instructor on grenades, but only carried two. Also learned early on and did the tracer at the last 5-3 rounds in the mag.
I went back to Thailand in the 90s training the Thai Special Units for Drug Interdiction and went into Cambodia/Laos.

When I was in the Marines we trained in a heavy vegetation course (25-50 yrds), and they had electronic (or string pulled) pop-up targets looking like NVA or black PJs. Had to shoot full auto on the course. Pretty easy with a M16. Much rather semi auto.
I also had a 1911 with everything else since I was a NCO. I was an instructor on grenades, but only carried two. Also learned early on and did the tracer at the last 5-3 rounds in the mag.
I went back to Thailand in the 90s training the Thai Special Units for Drug Interdiction and went into Cambodia/Laos.
In the Army in basic we only pitch one live grenade. I felt like they made you afraid of them. After I was in the 82 Airborne Div. We had a PT course that required pitching I believe was 5 dumbe grenades about 30yd away. I put all in the 10 ring. The others judging the pitches counldn't believe it and neither did I. 😆 In Vietnam and assigned to an infantry platoon. For several months we acted as dismounts in front of an Armor Cav Troop. So being my men were on the ground so was I. Out about 30 to 50 yds in front of the Tanks and APC. We would pitch grenades into old bumkers as we walked along. Any way I figured I would work on taking time off the grenade before putting it down the hole. I got so I would release the spoon with my arm corked to pitch the grenade. Count off 2 sec and release or pitch it on the 3rd count. Into the hole and about 1 sec it would exploded. We did that during a fire fight. With tanks and Apc's we would as dismount directly behind the APC or Tanks and take care of the bunkers as they came up. Sure would scare the Sh** out of you if one would showed up coming out from under the tank or APC. Anyway that's how we took care of them. I would always have a man back me up in case somebody would pop up. I had that happen to me one time. He was taken care of. I've seen them move around with the grenade going into the hole, but that was it. "Surprises" My saying was a grenade aday kept the gooks away. 😁. It didn't work that way, but felt it was a good saying anyway. Never did see anybody pull the pin out with their teeth🥳. I laugh everytime I see it in a movies.
I watch some flims in Iraq where the Marines took time off the grenades before pitching them. Somebody was teaching somebody right. I lost a S. Sgt because he didn't take time off a grenade. He didn't want to lesion.

During infantry training in the Marines, we were instructed on grenade throwing from individual reinforced rivetments. Each Marine was paired with an instructor who watched to be sure you didn't "milk" the spoon starting the time accidentally. One guy dropped his grenade in the pit causing a scramble while the instructor grabbed the loose grenade and finally got it into the air when it detonated showering a bunch of us with shrapnel. It was surprising after all the training that this guy was so clumsy. Only happened once but that was a valuable lesson.

During infantry training in the Marines, we were instructed on grenade throwing from individual reinforced rivetments. Each Marine was paired with an instructor who watched to be sure you didn't "milk" the spoon starting the time accidentally. One guy dropped his grenade in the pit causing a scramble while the instructor grabbed the loose grenade and finally got it into the air when it detonated showering a bunch of us with shrapnel. It was surprising after all the training that this guy was so clumsy. Only happened once but that was a valuable lesson.
Our training "PITS" in the Marines. The deck was sloped to the rear and had a 8-10" pipe hole probably 18" deep "Grenade Sump". This was in case the recruit dropped the grenade it would hopefully roll or be kicked by the instructor into the hole and blow up there. Would save the lives of the instructor and recruit, but the recruit would most likely get a real a** whooping.

Last edited:
Not sure but don't remember a grenade sump. My experience related was a Camp Pendleton in California. Maybe Lejune was different.

When, I was, a "Young and Dumb", Gun Smith,.. I TRIED to "Fix" ( Stone / Polish ) My Ruger Mini-14's, Trigger Pull weight, Down to, 2 to 2.5ish Pounds !
All I GOT was,.. a very Reliable,.. "Double Tap" and BOTH, 60 or, 62 grain Bullets were about,.. 3/4 of an Inch, apart @ 100 yds,.. EVERY Time !
OFF to, Ruger,.. it went, as they did not sell, Hammers and Sears !
NO Machine Gun,. IS,. "Accurate enough" for Me, after, 1st shot, let alone, 3rd, 4th or 5th shots BUT,.. GOOD for, the "Spray and Pray" Crowd !
The 3 shot Bursts in Nam, were Popular for, cutting Down,.. the Jungle Brush, tho !
I wonder where you got your info from. There wasn't any 3 shot m-16 in Vietnam that every saw. I don't even think I would want one anyway. i can just see it. Trying to open up and 3 shots you stopped. have to depresss the trigger again.

Recent Posts