would 160 round nose in new 6.5 Weatherby Mag work for Elk?

Twist rate is 1/8 and - and are the Homepage - Alco Precision BulletsAlco Precision Bullets | Shoot past a mile – one hole groups bullets good for hunting? One thing that helps with stabilization is that bullets are leaving the barrel at 3500 plus
Don't know anything about them or anyone shooting them.

There are a lot of good, well proven bullets on the market that I'd look to before trying something off the wall.

Nosler Partition and Accubonds will certainly do the job for you. Of the bonded bullets, the Hornady Interbond is my favorite and they are back in production at least in factory ammo. Hopefully they'll be back on the shelves as reloading components before long.

The Hornady Interbond is the one bullet that has flat out never let me down on anything, they just work every time if I do my part.

The Perigrine VRG4's worked really well for me in Africa on the elk sized game I shot with them. I also killed a really big boar last week with my .260 Rem shooting the VRG4 6.5 125gr.

They make the VRG4 in 130 and 140gr which would probably work very well for you.

Between the wife and I we've killed 6 deer and 3 hogs, 2 of which were big boars and all were one shot, stone dead kills with caliber sized entry wounds and roughly 2.5-3x caliber exits with the .260's and the 300 RUM shooting the 180gr.

Shooting paper with them I couldn't be happier. Without even doing any load development I'm getting sub .75moa 3 and 4 shot groups from all three rifles I've run them through.

I was a little worried they wouldn't open up enough on deer to suit me but they are really doing a great job.

I thought maybe I'd recover a bullet on the largest boar just due to his sheer size and the shot angle but I checked with the boys at the locker plant today and they said they'd been unable to find it. That bullet passed through the thickest part of the neck, spine, and off shoulder. That's at least 18" of heavy muscle, bone, and hide.

Here's a stock picture of what they look like expanded.
Menu_Bar_Banner_With_Logo1.png

Thanks Wilkup for the heads up on 26 Nosler -

I like this idea! I think Browning makes a 26 Nosler rifle that applicable for hunting -

What are the over counter rifle and ammo makers available now?

Has anyone shot the heavier 150 and 160 gr bullets in a 26 Nosler with mention able results?

Thanks everyone for your input!

If I went elk hunting with the 6.5-300 I would look at the 127gr Barnes LRX. Option B would be Nosler's 140gr Accubond. The Nosler is what we load in my father in law's 26 Nosler

Save the 160gr RNSP for a Mauser96 6.5x55....

Thanks for good advice - have you or has anyone else tried the heavier bullets at range or on elk to be able to compare? I don't think the heavier 6.5 - 150-160 grain bullets have not been out that long so comparisons may not be many? The bullet types you mentioned leave less to chance and more to effective wound channels - Berger VLD bullets can seem to work well but maybe not in every case nor for every shot placement.

I still don't get this whole thread...you purchased what is considered one of the flatest shooting long range cartridges ever made...why would you want to shoot a bullet that diminishes this number one reason you bought it for ?? First off it's a barrel burner without question and your not going to be shooting off the bench weekly with it, it's only a hunting cartridge ...a few shots per year... Put a good Barnes x bullet or partition in it and you'll drop every elk you shoot in it's tracks !

Why would or would not the 160 round nose work well on Elk coming out of the 6.5 Weatherby mag rifle?

I don't think anybody is disputing the effectiveness of the round in question on elk but because this is LRH and your chambering, you have better bullet options out there. I like to keep things simple and go with the heavies and high BC offerings that shoot accurately out of a rifle and call it good.

I like the lapla 155 gr mega tip alot better .Its super accurate and has a BC of .377 .I shot pronghorn with my 264 win mag at 350 yards it flipped them in their tracks .Its an awesome bullet made for moose in Sweden .

I like the 6.5 bullets that they are coming out with today but what about the 160 round nose in a 6.5 Weatherby Mag as an effective elk round?

I have not done a lot of shooting - have hunted and shot two cow elk - one shot in the lungs with 7-08 at 20yrds - it went 60 - 70 yards

The other with two shots one in the back paralyzing its hind quarters and then follow up shot in the neck with a 270 - at 60 yrds.

Both seemed a bit on the light side as far as I could see for hunting elk so am considering a stronger hitting round that can be used for antelope - deer - and elk.

The new 6.5 Weatherby could fill that nitch if the 140 or 160 gr bullets are used - especially maybe with the 160 round nose - wouldn't the round nose be more effective with it's initial shock transfer?

I hunt in Colorado and just got lucky with close up shots these last two times so yes I could have done better with a 338 Federal at those distances but that's not always the case with needing to shoot longer distances rather than shorter being the norm.

I can imagine that the Weatherby will be loud and kick more compared to either 7-08 and or 270 but maybe not that much since its a 6.5. And I know that a lot of folk talks about this round to be a barrel burner but I mostly would be using it for sleight practice and hunting and not competition -

Why would or would not the 160 round nose work well on Elk coming out of the 6.5 Weatherby mag rifle?

I have a new Weatherby 6 Lug Mark V in 6.5 Weatherby RPM. It won't feed the 160 gr Hornady round-nose seated to the cannelure, and won't feed it seated to 3.34 inches COAL. There is a perpendicular ridge on the feed ramp that catches the bullet nose. The same is true for PPU PRVI Partizan 156 gr semi-spitzer.

Rifle does feed the Barnes 127 gr LRX at COAL = 3.41 inches, to the cannelure.

Rifle will shoot the Hornady bullet single shot, and likely will shoot the PRVI bullet that way as well. Mark a bullet with blue dye and load it in a dummy round, uncrimped, and test in your rifle to know proper seating depth. No info on twist, concede its a key issue. Have a Freedom Arms 454 Casull; a 300 gr lead LBT WFN bullet simply disappears if loaded to 1000 fps, the 1/24 twist won't stabilize it. And I do mean disappears, I don't know where the bullets went. Unnerving.

I'm disappointed - a commercial rifle ought ordinarily to feed appropriate commercial bullets. However, I initially commissioned a custom rifle on a Terminus action, and the smith was unable to make it feed these bullets also. I returned the custom rifle due to this issue. The new Weatherby cost about half what the custom rifle did, and will do whatever the custom rifle might have done.

I have a new Weatherby 6 Lug Mark V in 6.5 Weatherby RPM. It won't feed the 160 gr Hornady round-nose seated to the cannelure, and won't feed it seated to 3.34 inches COAL. There is a perpendicular ridge on the feed ramp that catches the bullet nose. The same is true for PPU PRVI Partizan 156 gr semi-spitzer.

Rifle does feed the Barnes 127 gr LRX at COAL = 3.41 inches, to the cannelure.

Rifle will shoot the Hornady bullet single shot, and likely will shoot the PRVI bullet that way as well. Mark a bullet with blue dye and load it in a dummy round, uncrimped, and test in your rifle to know proper seating depth. No info on twist, concede its a key issue. Have a Freedom Arms 454 Casull; a 300 gr lead LBT WFN bullet simply disappears if loaded to 1000 fps, the 1/24 twist won't stabilize it. And I do mean disappears, I don't know where the bullets went. Unnerving.

I'm disappointed - a commercial rifle ought ordinarily to feed appropriate commercial bullets. However, I initially commissioned a custom rifle on a Terminus action, and the smith was unable to make it feed these bullets also. I returned the custom rifle due to this issue. The new Weatherby cost about half what the custom rifle did, and will do whatever the custom rifle might have done.
Your smith should be able to solve that feeding issue very quickly with a little honing and polishing of the feed ramp.