would 160 round nose in new 6.5 Weatherby Mag work for Elk?

You must have read the same article in American Rifleman that I read. I am sure that rifle will be awesome but i would not use any round nose bullets myself. This caliber is designed for long range flat trajectory shooting and those bullets are not. Because of the extreme velocity i would use a bonded bullet so at least some of it will stay together. We have shot a lot of elk with up to a 300 win mag and they are tanks no matter what you shoot them with. Bullet placement is key. I have only witnessed 1 that was dropped in his (6x6 340bull) tracks that was not a spine shot and that was with a 180 Partition in the chest.
Can't wait to hear how it works out. If i had more time and money, it would be on my bucket list. Lol

Sure but what was the purpose of even buying this high veocity cartridge in the first place ???? By using those bullets your working against what you bought it for, high velocity at long range.. If your going to shoot under 50 yards grab the old 12 ga slug gun, it'll drop them and save you fancy barrel...this doesn't make sense, your working against what you'be spent your hard earned money for ??

Sure but what was the purpose of even buying this high veocity cartridge in the first place ???? By using those bullets your working against what you bought it for, high velocity at long range.. If your going to shoot under 50 yards grab the old 12 ga slug gun, it'll drop them and save you fancy barrel...this doesn't make sense, your working against what you'be spent your hard earned money for ??
Like towing a boat with a Lambo.

Yes - I am deciding against 6.5 weatherby -

Sometimes inexperienced hunters like myself look at hunting game like they do a McDonalds fast food joint - food drop on the spot but - actually good hunting involves knowing what one is capable of and their limitations - stalking and being poised as well as creative and patient.

For several reasons I love hunting and plan on following through with more hunts as I as I get older - my wife is willing to take up shooting and come along - yeehaw - now I get to help and be her guide! - That's got to be fun!

Right now we each have a 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger American Rifle that I am sure will work fine for what we need - With our lighter frames and sensitivity we may want to get a 7mm Rem Mag or 338 Lapua with a Titan or Thunderbeast suppressor to practice and have at ready if needed for a longer hunting application.

As men we are funny creatures - LOL - whether it be with cars or guns we think that faster is better but not necessarily so -

So, I'm going against the grain. I see it as a viable option.

Pretty sure all 6.5-300Weatherby's are Accumarks. Feel free to correct me on that.

Hand Loader Magazine issue #305 has an article on the 6.5-300 Weatherby. The writer Brian Pearce did extensive load development with 2 Accumark rifles. In his article Mr. Pearce included load data for the 160Hornady InterLock Round Nose.

"In spite of a world filled with high demand for sleek, high BC and low drag bullets... data is included for the old Hornady 160-grain InterLock roundnose bullet"

Mr. Pearce gives a COAL of 3.505 and a charge of US869 of 80 to 82 grains.

Pretty conservative. I checked this against QL. It jives.

Checked external ballistics using JBM: Maximum PBR: 342 yd Maximum PBR Zero: 294 yd

So, make a 300 zero and out to 350 yards it's point and shoot even with a round nose.

OK - thanks - I think I understood where the 6.5x300 Weatherbys use a 1/9 inch twist rate in their barrels but I think for the 140 or 160 gr bullets one best use a 1/8 twist rate - I have not been able to verify Weatherby's 6.5x300 twist rate - went to the Weathrby rifle site and could not find info - why wouldn't they inform? so will still search - also since they were saying how well rifle with the 127 grn bullets at over 3500fps perform - I am thinking yes more than likely that they do have the 1/9 twist rate which kinda puts a damper on setting sights on buying one.

The Accumark 6.5-300 is 1/8
From Weatherby | Mark V Accumark
6.5-300 Wby. Mag. 8 1/4 lbs. 46 5/8" 3+1 26" #3 1-8" 13 5/8" 7/8" 1 5/8" 5/8"

thank you I rechecked the site and its under specifications - its still an option but may need to get a suppressor fitted on it - don't know if the factory the muzzle brake can be removed and replaced with suppressor

thank you I rechecked the site and its under specifications - its still an option but may need to get a suppressor fitted on it - don't know if the factory the muzzle brake can be removed and replaced with suppressor

yes it can

So, I'm going against the grain. I see it as a viable option.

Pretty sure all 6.5-300Weatherby's are Accumarks. Feel free to correct me on that.

Hand Loader Magazine issue #305 has an article on the 6.5-300 Weatherby. The writer Brian Pearce did extensive load development with 2 Accumark rifles. In his article Mr. Pearce included load data for the 160Hornady InterLock Round Nose.

"In spite of a world filled with high demand for sleek, high BC and low drag bullets... data is included for the old Hornady 160-grain InterLock roundnose bullet"

Mr. Pearce gives a COAL of 3.505 and a charge of US869 of 80 to 82 grains.

Pretty conservative. I checked this against QL. It jives.

Checked external ballistics using JBM: Maximum PBR: 342 yd Maximum PBR Zero: 294 yd

So, make a 300 zero and out to 350 yards it's point and shoot even with a round nose.

I agree with this. What ever a guys comfort range for shooting distance is, is no reason to say that he can't have a high horse power rifle shooting a low bc bullet. It would be a very effective hard hitting short to medium long range weapon. We are about to start designing a line of bullets based on our lever action 30cal bullet in all the calibers. Will make for very hard hitting bullets out to medium range or so. Will cover 90% of hunters out there.

Steve

........So, I'm going against the grain. I see it as a viable option.........

I do as well, long, heavy for caliber, round nose bullets may be old school, the arrival of a variety of new bullets, and cartridges, hasn't made these bullets less lethal.