Worth Cleaning or Replace Barrel?

Gday bfd
Once you see how the sierras go I'd still not give up if it doesn't work out just give Steve a buzz on the .311 & then if it dosent work
With hammers it will be toast

Cheers

I love Flitz metal polish, but they also have a bore cleaner that is higher abrasive. Iosso, J-B, Flitz bore cleaner. I guess if one uses a high grit metal polish it serves as a detriment to the bore. Too polished a bore will attract more fouling.
image.jpg

The big boys are using this, and it is as effective as IOSSO paste as my borescope has verified. Was skeptical at first but Speedy has never advised on a cleaning method that did not work like a Swiss watch as the saying goes. Used this on a factory abused and I mean there was a carbon ring you could put on your finger 204 Ruger in a Remmy that one of our oil producers had at the ranch! Less than an hour later it was bare metal clean.... Patch Out and Accelerator.

I use a homemade bore cleaner lubricant which has worked great. Mine is based on the Ed's red recipe.
A co-worker inherited a TC Triumph that had been left loaded and uncleaned for 15 plus years. The inside of the barrel was severely rusted. I was able to remove the old charge and break down the rifle. I started soaking with my cleaner oil and copper chore boy pads on a rod. I progressed to Scotchbrite pad pieces and more of my cleaner. Then I lapped it well with JB Bore Bright. As bad a shape as the barrel was i never thought it would shoot. Well... it's first range test made a nice clover leaf @ 100 yds. So i guess don't throw that barrel out before you at least try cleaning.

my Ed's recipe (no synthetic products)
Empty gallon jug.
1qt Valvoline Universal ATF
1qt non detergent compressor oil
1 qt Low odor mineral spirits
1 cup of Toluene or bottle of Goof Off. I use some orange oil also.
Makes a great penetrating oil as well as gun cleaner lube.
Been using this on all my guns for years never any issues. Everyone that uses it wants more...

The big boys are using this, and it is as effective as IOSSO paste as my borescope has verified. Was skeptical at first but Speedy has never advised on a cleaning method that did not work like a Swiss watch as the saying goes. Used this on a factory abused and I mean there was a carbon ring you could put on your finger 204 Ruger in a Remmy that one of our oil producers had at the ranch! Less than an hour later it was bare metal clean.... Patch Out and Accelerator.

I follow Speedy too. That works if you can maintain a barrel equilibrium from the start. Trying to resurrect a badly fouled barrel like this needed some major mechanical action.

Bottom line is how it shoots. I would try a fouling shot, then shoot a group with it allowing a minute or two between shots.
I just discovered with this "Enigma gun" that the headspace is so off it won't chamber factory ammo without a good deal of force on the bolt. I get a ring around the shoulder of the case. FGMM 168 factory ammo. I don't know what the previous owner was doing with this gun. It looks so unused on the outside an unscrupulous person could sell as NIB. The action screws only had a few inch lbs of torque. The stock has not 1 blemish.

Last edited:
I follow Speedy too. That works if you can maintain a barrel equilibrium from the start. Trying to resurrect a badly fouled barrel like this needed some major mechanical action.
I ran 2 boxes of these through my 110 in 300win mag. It was at least as rough as your rifle and now it looks as well as my barlein that will replace it when my reamer shows up next month or so. I loaded clays pwder 17 grains and I bought his tubb dust for that powder bottle. I was able to run all 50 through without having to clean it. First batch I used 27 grains of 4227 which is about 2100fs without the tubb dust. It took leaving the bore full of hoppes for 2 days after first scrubbing with a patch over a brush for 2 hours using wipe out foam that sat for an hour before I started scrubbing. First run of them cleaned up the first 12" and smoothed up the rest so the terrible tooling marks didn't look so sharp.