Barrel replacement

gpo1956

Can anyone suggest a site to research re-barreling a Tikka T3? Such as barrel selection, the process of fitting and contouring? Are certain shanks and threads common to more than one brand of action? Is it possible to re-cut and re-thread a takeoff barrel for another action?
Thanks

To get the best info on barrel contouring I would suggest visiting your nearest custom barrel maker to learn how barrels are manufactured from start to finish. Then for the process of fitting I'd suggest the Gordy Gritters DVD called: "Chambering a Championship Match Barrel"
"EXTREME ACCURACY INSTITUTE" and "Gordy's Precision"

Theoretically you could refit a take off barrel but finding someone who will do it for you is quite another. It's not in your best interest to convert one. If you found a mint Tikka barrel from the same model as your existing rifle that would be acceptable as far as restoring the bore on a worn out rifle. The labor expense of fitting one from another rifle is the same or more as fitting a new blank barrel. Depending on who does the work the results almost always favor fitting a new quality blank. Contouring is usually included in the initial cost of the blank so that is not an issue with the new barrel. Recontouring a take off barrel is very rarely done due to expense and it is not a good idea because it further relieves the bore and can make the bore oversized.

Can anyone suggest a site to research re-barreling a Tikka T3? Such as barrel selection, the process of fitting and contouring? Are certain shanks and threads common to more than one brand of action? Is it possible to re-cut and re-thread a takeoff barrel for another action?
Thanks

First of all, I think it's great that you want to learn about rifle barrels and fitting them to actions. But in the long run a properly phrased conversation with a qualified gunsmith will answer all the questions you might have and then some. It is simply not necessary for you to know everything about barrel making, fitting and contouring since all of that is done for you by the barrel maker and the gunsmith. That is unless you just want to know and that's excellent.

Generally speaking, factory barrels (take-offs) will be a waste of time and effort trying to re-thread and then adjust the chamber for headspace and timing to match your action. Most, if not all factory barrels are inferior to custom made barrels from several of the top makers available today. Trying to refit one to your Tikka is a lost cause and a waste of money in my opinion.

If you want to retain the factory stock all you need to do is find a barrel maker that will duplicate that contour for you. Then ship it to your gunsmith along with the action and stock so that he can finish the rest.

Your Tikka thread pattern is 1" x 16 TPI which is not hard for any gunsmith to achieve.

Good Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.