Woodchuck/ground hogs NC.

Chip_Shot

What is the best time of day in March and April to hunt for groundhogs in NC? I'm really wanting to get into hunting them, looking for advice. Thanks!

In my experience, only seen one groundhog, and it was in Kentucky. The thing came out in mid afternoon. It took up residence under my house and ruined my driveway. I tried to shoot it with a 22lr pistol but failed. I'm sorry this really doesn't help much but maybe it is typical behavior of the species.

just drive up 52 north and route 8. You'll find all you want
Are you talking on the NC side or the Virginia side? Really been looking hard here in Southwest Va. about 24 miles North of the NC line and the old traditional methods and locations for groundhogs are practically gone...too many coyotes!
As to the original thread, I don't hunt them anymore until after the first hay cutting. Generally, about that time the pups are coming out on their own and I have more targets.lightbulb Of course, farmers as a rule aren't too keen about the idea of letting more groundhogs wander around their fields!!

Keep looking. Route 8. Try Stuart, Virginia. You need to get on the back roads.
Let me know how you do.

Keep looking. Route 8. Try Stuart, Virginia. You need to get on the back roads.
Let me know how you do.
Thanks for the info! Farmers pretty good about letting a person hunt?
Saw a pup today to mention it. Grazing on the side of Interstate 81 but the authorities are not too understanding about shooting there.:D

Not to sure on when the best time to hunt really is. We're on a farm and it's hit/miss when they come out. I recently hit one at 200 yards with .223 and he was out middle of the day. We don't let them stay around long, rough on equipment when you don't see their holes till you bounce out of the tractor seat.

My opinion is look around for their homes/holes and do research just like deer. They have tendencies but depending on their surroundings as to when they come out. If there's a lot of coyotes then night time/dusk is out. Our dogs keep them bottled up during the day mostly so most I've seen is early morning. Just my opinion, we don't let them stay long. Their head pops up, it pops off. gun)

I am a long range to extreme range Groundhog hunter and used to take nice long shots on GH's many years ago but have given up on finding enough to justify the trip since the Coyotes have taken over. The only way to get long shots in much of that area is to shoot hill to hill, from a clearing to a clearing, but it takes more HP than many groundhog hunters have.

I now travel many states to set up for weeks at a time to take hogs long from a fixed bench.

Dairy farms with Alfalfa are always first choice,

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.