TNT VS Vmax? for ground hogs

Ring

a buddy wants me to load some varmit 308 ammo for him, i have loading a few test TNT's for him and he loved them and the the splatter they make.

in 223 all i use is Vmax, has anyone used and compared the TNT vs Vmax in .30 and the results?

I have done substantial load testing for my .243 Win (Rem700 SPS, all factory except a stock and a trigger adjustment) with both 75 V-Max and 70 TNT bullets. I really like the TNT's devastation factor, but I can't get them to group very well (1" @ 100 is as tight as I have been able to load them). Maybe I will try another batch of tests with some new powders. The V-max groups awesome (.4" @ 100) and do serious damage on critters, so I have pretty much just stuck with them for my .243.

Shoot whatever works best in that rifle, both have an excellent splat effect lol. The 110gr. VMAXes are what group good out of my .308. Haven't used it on chucks yet this year tho :(.

I have done substantial load testing for my .243 Win (Rem700 SPS, all factory except a stock and a trigger adjustment) with both 75 V-Max and 70 TNT bullets. I really like the TNT's devastation factor, but I can't get them to group very well (1" @ 100 is as tight as I have been able to load them). Maybe I will try another batch of tests with some new powders. The V-max groups awesome (.4" @ 100) and do serious damage on critters, so I have pretty much just stuck with them for my .243.

I can't speak to the .30 cal, but I can say that I have seen pretty much the same thing as above, with about the same numbers in terms of grouping with a 22-250. The TNT just didn't do what the VMax will (or what the Nosler Ballistic Tips will either).

I'm using the 70gr TNT in my 243 WSSM and and extremely happy with what they do too pasture poodles. I have my very own test range (dog town) in my back yard so i get all the testing i want by just walking outside and letting fly.

Tank -

What twist barrel is your .308? And did you chronograph your 110 V-Max load? I haven't been able to get anything lighter than a 150 to shoot worth a darn out of my 1-12" twist heavy barrel Rem700.

It was a factory Mod 12 Low Pro with a 1:10 twist 26" heavy stainless barrel. 47.5grns RL15, CCI200 primers, 2.773 OAL. I'm guessing it was around 3100+fps. I did never get a chance to chrono them that I can remember. My grouping measured center to center .233".

The same barrel is now rechambered to a 300WSM. It was a .308 winny.

Tank

Liked the 110 Vmax but in our country the wind blows.....
Have a Rem VLS 1-12 twist have shot the 175gr with great results
but shooting the 110 and wind did not wotk well went to the 155gr
Amax and wow the Chucks voted it out, have had great with it on
varmints out past 600yds and they are very effective.........

Liked the 110 Vmax but in our country the wind blows.....
Have a Rem VLS 1-12 twist have shot the 175gr with great results
but shooting the 110 and wind did not wotk well went to the 155gr
Amax and wow the Chucks voted it out, have had great with it on
varmints out past 600yds and they are very effective.........

What kind of velocities are you getting with the 155's?

Tank

The TNT is vary accurate and explosive under 400y, but the 110 vmax has much better ballistics. Problem is, can't use the heavy bullets due to over penatration issues and ricochet issues

we do a lot of hunting near farms and houses. We need light bullets that disintergreat on impact

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts