Fall ground hogging.

Ohlongarm

My farmer friends called and informed me all beans are now cut.
I went out today in Ashland county along the Mohican river, I saw 12 groundhogs some were out of range of the 17 hornet, I can spot them but they also spot me.
Wind was brisk, here's five that didn't make it closet shot 105 yards 202 was the farthest, the hornet anchors them like a lightning bolt no crawl away.
I watched one hog an hour at 147 yards he only exposed his nose and the shot was difficult , finally when the wind died I launches a 20 grain Hornady at him talk about destruction, may be too graphic for some. I'm at 39 gh's for the season , I quit at Thanksgiving. Going out tomorrow, some real fat boys here.
I missed one shot at 245 yards with a stiff wind, only drawback with the tiny pill. Jpeg 3 shows what a tiny pill can do , skull was total mush both eyes gone , and teeth. The tree line in the foreground is 202 yards right against the Mohican.

Attachments

• cb.jpg
    cb.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 98
  • cb1.jpg
    cb1.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 108
  • cb2.jpg
    cb2.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 98
  • cb3.jpg
    cb3.jpg
    519.1 KB · Views: 91
them are big as beavers,you should have a 220 Swift ,thks for posting Cheers
True, however some small farms I hunt 25 acres , it would be too noisy. The mild report of the 17 hornet is a definite winner for most of my scenarios, however I could have used one this week when several showed themselves at 300 plus yards. I can always take my 204 if needed. THX

I'm lucky to hunt the fields around our local airport for the last 35 years. Killed over 700 in that time, but this one "takes the cake". 185 yds., .250 Sav. AI XP-100, 110 gr. ELD-X. Killed 6 out of this hole in spring and summer. Never saw this one. Probably killed 75+ out of same hole over the years. Never a white one!
DSC01454.JPG

I'm lucky to hunt the fields around our local airport for the last 35 years. Killed over 700 in that time, but this one "takes the cake". 185 yds., .250 Sav. AI XP-100, 110 gr. ELD-X. Killed 6 out of this hole in spring and summer. Never saw this one. Probably killed 75+ out of same hole over the years. Never a white one!View attachment 335315
Nice shooting never saw a white gh.

I'm lucky to hunt the fields around our local airport for the last 35 years. Killed over 700 in that time, but this one "takes the cake". 185 yds., .250 Sav. AI XP-100, 110 gr. ELD-X. Killed 6 out of this hole in spring and summer. Never saw this one. Probably killed 75+ out of same hole over the years. Never a white one!

View attachment 335315

All -

Howdy !

I tried shooting gorundhogs just outside a local ( now " International " ) airport, and had secured the farmer's
permission to do so.

I was probably 400yd of one runway's centerline, and perhaps 350yd away from another.

The beans were in the 2-leaf stage, so it was easy to see me sitting out in the field, about 200yd from the headland of the field.

Just my luck, the Vice President was making an un-announced stop at the airport, and the guys w/ the sunglasses and squiggly cord running up to their ear..... had noted my prescence when doing their pre-VP arrival security sweep of the area.

They sent a Trooper out to talk to me, and I made it a point to walk towards the man, while carrying my 17lb varmint rifle across my shoulders...... bolt open.

The Trooper seemd satisfied w/ my groundhog hunting reason for being there, but I did offer to vacate the area just to ease their minds. And, I did.

With regards,
357Mag

I have a scope cam for my spotter now. Will have to set it up and poke a few long range on video. I use hunting guns. My last dedicated hog gun was a 7stw sendero. I have a few others.....not as fast but should splat them just fine. We only get a short time to shoot them and leave a couple for seed.