Wood stock in wet weather and extreme elements

Threejs

I have a really nice sako 338 that I want to use moose hunting. But it's a wood stock. A new McMillan is going to run me $1400 by the time it's totally done. Is there anything I can do to be able to just use the wood stock? Can I get it pillared and bedded and be good to go?

I have a really nice sako 338 that I want to use moose hunting. But it's a wood stock. A new McMillan is going to run me $1400 by the time it's totally done. Is there anything I can do to be able to just use the wood stock? Can I get it pillared and bedded and be good to go?
When I was 16 a gunsmith had a 300 wm Parker Hale that the stock split right behind the bolt. It was new but for some reason he did not want to send it back. He talked me into buying it cheap and letting him glass bed the stock. I used that rifle for years taking deer, elk, coyotes and rabbits etc. in other words I carried it every where and shot everything on or around our Wyoming ranch.

Oh, I was 16 in 1973. I still have the rifle and would not hesitate to take it anywhere for a moose or elk.

My 2c.

I do my best to only hunt wood stocks in dry weather. I had one raise the grain and swell on me once when wet. I had 6-7 coats of pure tung oil into it and 7-9 coats of military stock wax too, trying to prevent that.

In the grand scheme of things, if you are moose hunting you got the money for a $1400 stock.

The McMillan would assure consistent groups. The wait time for a McMillan is exceptional. Last one I ordered was seven months coming. I live 25 minutes away from them.

You can Install Pillars, Glass Bed the action and 1.5 to 2 inches of, the bbl's "Shank portion" with, Marine Tex or, Brownell's AcraGlas Glass bedding compound and Free float the rest of the Barrel but, you MUST "Hog out" ( using a Mill or Dremel ) a "Pyramid shaped" area, under the barrel to INSURE, Forend "stability" and sealed away from, the Weather ( I would Tape the Barrel from, the shank area, outward to "Free Float" the bbl. ) . I was a Professional Gunsmith for almost 30 years and did THIS method for, serious Hunters that, Hunted all over, the Western US, Canada, Alaska, Mexico and Mongolia. Bedded many, pre-64, M-70's, Weatherby's, Sako's, Mauser 98's and Rem 700's and ALL shot, MOA groups ( or better ), back in, the 1970's thru 1990's.
But you will need to find, a "good" gunsmith that understands HOW to, do this, work ! Probably gonna cost around, $350- $400 Today but, could run more ! Start asking for, Wood Stock Maker, recommendations. Wood Stocks, were ALL we had, in those Days and they "can" work, FINE !
Also, make sure that, the Exterior Finish and Checkering is, "Sealed" well !
PS; you will probably need to find, an Older Gunsmith as, the young one's, just want to, Bolt on,.. a Plastic stock !
Might ask, Mike Bryant of, Bryant Customs, in Texas if, he knows someone or, if possibly, he can do, the work !
Good Luck !

Last edited:
I put my action back into my synthetic stock before my hunt this year because weather was supposed to be really bad and I didn't want to screw up my wood. I wasn't worried about the POI shift because I already pillar, glass bedded and free floated it well.

I had used Johnson paste wax previously to protect the wood through general dry weather use.

Does anyone have experience with really wet weather and Johnson paste wax?

I have done a pile of cheaper stocks with pillars and bedding and if needed reinforce the front of the stock if the rifle is heavy and using bipods a lot. I have filled in the area with aluminum rod or a carbon arrow shaft for strength and epoxy to the contour of the barrel. Works very very well for a budget stock build. If you have the money buying a nice stock is easier for sure. I run a chassis on my primary rifle now so I don't have to get creative at all. I have several in my safe I have bedded and painted etc and have confidence in them for repeatable accuracy and consistency

See if Boyds has a laminated stock option for your Sako. I have several of their stocks and really like them as a drop in stock. They may benefit from some bedding depending on your rifle. If you sent them the rifle, I am pretty sure they could custom make a stock for you. Call their customer service for more info; they are really helpful. boydsgunstocks.com