Accuracy of wood Stocks

Kenster-Boy

I am fairly new to this whole long range thing and i heard a rumor that wood stocks aren't the choice for long range work because they change with different types of climate. Which I hear affects the accuracy or better yet the POI.

Is this ture and if it is can you suggest a stock for a Savage 112BVSS.

Note: my price cap is 150-175

Wood stocks are suitable for LR hunting as long as you don't hunt in the rain. Free float the barrels, or use a barrel block, and bed the action with an epoxy steel type product. Problem solved.

For the money, you should also be able to pick up from a variety of laminated stocks. Dead stable and I love the look. boyds and Richards microfit should get your started.

Jerry

Well seasoned wood stocks with appropriate sealent (ie oil or varnish), decent bedding and free floated barrel channels are not normaly affected by rain.

resin impregmated laminated stocks are very stable, and can be found very cheep. Have a look at rutland plywood corps web site, they have links to stock makers web sites.

...just look through the rifle rack at your local gunshop... check out the barrel channels, that'll tell you all you need to know... wood changes continually with humidity level... it is however, beautiful and unstable, sorta lika a "scary" girlfriend... sorry (laminates are the solution, if you insist on wood)

Just looking at some of wood 700 stocks on my bench. Most have Kick-eez custom fit pads.When fitted these pads were as clean a fit as any job I've ever seen. Look at some of them now and you would think they came off a different rifle! I know the plastic base of the pad didn't swell!! As much as I love to look at wood they'll stay on the bench.

Wood stocks aren't affected as much here in the UK as back home in SoDak, because it is always wet, never dry..So the stock doesn't dry out so much...What warps the wood stocks is it gets wet, then dry...Worst thing a guy can do is stick a wet stock in a dry gun cabinet, warp city!!!What I would do with a wood stock is do a full bed on the action, free float the barrel, and glass the barrel channel..Seal the sucker, and youre good to go..You may have to reglass the barrel channel from time to time depending on the climate..

JR

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.