Orange oil wood polish for rifle stock?

After buffing and buffing, the sticky stuff wouldn't come off so I used Rem oil and it came right off. I'm pretty sure I got a bad batch or something which is too bad because I already wiped it all over the passed down rifles from my grandpa and my dad.

Attachments

• 20230705_135411.jpg
    20230705_135411.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 20230705_135836.jpg
    20230705_135836.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20230705_140210.jpg
    20230705_140210.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 20230705_140647.jpg
    20230705_140647.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 20230705_141251.jpg
    20230705_141251.jpg
    990.2 KB · Views: 24
If there was any residue of oil on the rifle, it may have contaminated the RW. If you can't get it buffed down, I'd wipe the rifle down with mineral spirits and then reapply a thin coat of RW.
Spot on. BEFORE trying to apply any wax whether carnuba or Renaissance, take alcohol and thoroughly clean all oil from metal and wood. On the metal i give it a go over with acetone for good measure but DO NOT get that stuff on plastic, wood finishes etc. Only after a good degrease will you get the wax finish you want and the wax needs to go on very thin. I let it dry overnight before buffing it.

Even after a proper job, finger prints will shoow as there is moisture and oil on your hands. If all it took was wax all the bad guys would be doing it rather than wearing gloves. What the wax does is stop the moisture and salts from those prints eating into the blue.

Spot on. BEFORE trying to apply any wax whether carnuba or Renaissance, take alcohol and thoroughly clean all oil from metal and wood. On the metal i give it a go over with acetone for good measure but DO NOT get that stuff on plastic, wood finishes etc. Only after a good degrease will you get the wax finish you want and the wax needs to go on very thin. I let it dry overnight before buffing it.

Alright, thanks for the help.

Would polishing the stock as mentioned with any of the products mentioned possibly hurt the value if say, it looked weird after polishing it? Or just buy a new stock if it were that bad hahaha

Any wood stock wax comes off with alcohol. Very unlikely you couldn't undo amy of these.
That's true except for one thing: Any wood finish product that contains silicone will contaminate the finish and is irreversible. Make sure you read the SDS contents before using a product.

That's true except for one thing: Any wood finish product that contains silicone will contaminate the finish and is irreversible. Make sure you read the SDS contents before using a product.
Spot on, but I would never use anything that had silicone in it to polish a wood stock. Carnuba or Renaissance wax are the only two things I use on good wood finishes and Blued Steel.

Use Birchwood Casey gun stock wax, thats what its made for its not hard to find in most sporting goods, it been around for I don't know how many years, but I've been using it for over 50 years, I've finished countless gun stocks with just about everything on the market, Birchwood gun stock looks with all finishes repels dust and water well and very simple to use and easy to apply.