Wolf down

TSS is no joke. I think @phorwath has some experience with TSS and big bears - I don't mean to drag him into a wolf thread, but feel free to search up his posts.

I never thought of a shotgun with a thermal...not sure I would want to be out in the dark where wolves and bears play but maybe in a tree stand. I think Tim Wells took a wolf with a bow that way on bait.

Not true! You can hunt them year 'round - as many as you want - no tags required. Considered vermin just like coyotes - as long as you aren't in the Yellowstone protected zone - resident or non-res. We have them here in Laramie County. I've seen 5 now in the past 2 years less than 5 miles from town while antelope hunting in 38 and 34.
Thank you for the update. I had found that out since I posted that.

Wedgy... you sure did get me to thinking hard about that stuff...WOW... looks like bad medicine for sure.
I didn't want to spend another $30-$40 for a shell holder so I made one for free. These are stupid easy to load compared to precision rifle. I hold the jaws shut around the shell with my left hand and lower the crimper in the drill press with my right.
shel.jpg
shell.jpg

I've done extensive testing with tss buckshot in sizes .20 up to .32 cal. I've killed 6-7deer and several hogs with the stuff and I've went back to lead. TSS does great at penetrating and breaking bone, but does very little as far as wound channels on big game. If I haven't had hounds to help recover my game then many would have been lost. These are with vital hits.

As far as buckshot for large game, nothing kills like large soft lead buckshot......000 buck .360 in 12ga and .390 in 10ga.

This is coming from someone that has killed over 100 animals with buckshot. Their is a lot of bad info out there from people who speculate what will work without any experience on the subject.
C8915587-B25A-41DC-AF80-919F4DBC2E47.jpeg

This is a typical lead pattern of .390 14 pellet 10ga load at 60yds

I do have lots of tss in buckshot sizes I'll sell at a great price if someone wants to try some

The only deer that have dropped have been spine shot and then had to be finished with a knife. The dogs have caught most of the deer after being shot with multiple vital hits, but were slowed down by broken legs...the game still had plenty of fight left in them until I could get to them and finish them.

Tss will pencil through and leave very little trauma to the tissue it passed through. You can literally eat right up to the hole where a tss pellet went through flesh.

Hopefully Paul will chime in and give his findings with tss buckshot. He is the only other person I know of to use them on game, and I value his advise and experience in the field.

Brent, do you like your 6.5PRC better than the 284? Why? I'm still shooting your old 6.5x284 although It has a new stock, trigger and barrel now. Lol
Ha ha so just the action now?
I like the prc a lot. It's a little more performance but mainly I went to a switch barrel platform ina short action. The platform is to shoot comp between seasons.

6407C1F1-81D3-4AEA-B286-D33D5E226CB4.jpeg

I never thought of a shotgun with a thermal...not sure I would want to be out in the dark where wolves and bears play but maybe in a tree stand. I think Tim Wells took a wolf with a bow that way on bait.
Killed 2 with a bow. Called both in. It's pretty crazy.
I have a thermal I use in the dark to try and locate wolves. It's eerie seeing them in the dark moving around. Bow hunting I've literally had them pop around a tree in front of me hiking in the dark and scary the bujeseezus out of me. They are sneaking buggers

Not true! You can hunt them year 'round - as many as you want - no tags required. Considered vermin just like coyotes - as long as you aren't in the Yellowstone protected zone - resident or non-res. We have them here in Laramie County. I've seen 5 now in the past 2 years less than 5 miles from town while antelope hunting in 38 and 34.
We saw movement today, in the sage brush, about 400yrds. We were at the base of the Bighorn Mnts.
I yelled " big yote" . We were on our way out, spotted 8 bulls and tags were only good for antlerless elk.
It was an almost white wolf.

One shot was taken on a snap with "0" results, it was moving very fast.
It's only a matter of time until the entire state is handled just like the rest of the "trophy" areas in the state.

For any one hat has ever trie to souley wolf hunt, I mean by calling, or even harder, spot and stalk.
Go give it a try.....
Let me know how ya do.
I have a few under my belt but don't think I'll ever get used to seeing a wolf on the snap and responding correctly.
At least for me, it's a very weird experience. Each time. And there are many times between sittings or "I heard them outings that left me wondering if I was doing things right".
We like to think as humans we are ready for anything.
Carry a pistol for Grizz instead of spray, think you will get a bullet into a wolf before it vanishes.
Whatever......
There is a reason it took so long to get em gone.
And that's another rant