Winchesters new 17 cartridge

Terry Scott

Been reading about the new 17 win mag rim fire
Anyone have any idea when we will see them in stores?
20 gr @ 3000fps 25 gr@ 2650 fps

I read that that the ammo will be available April 2013 but have not read anything about when rifles will be available.. It will take a while. I have ammo, bullets, powder, primers, empty brass ,reloading dies ,scope, and sling for a 17 Hornet but still no rifle.

Yea, It will be callied a .17 Super Mag, its based on the 27 cal fastener cartridge, I would of liked to see a .22 Super Mag come out first, maybe down the road I'll see one...

Had talked to some of the guys over on Cast Boolits about it, and actually wish they would have went with something more along the lines of a .25 Super Mag to give a better choice to people restricted to rimfires for varmits up to coyote size.
If i buy a .17 it'll be a Hornet that i can reload so i know i'll always have ammo for.
It's a pretty gutsy move for Winchester since the round will take a totally new bolt and mag as well, at least the HMR only needed a proven .22 mag gun with a new barrel to be makin' bacon, this will take a little more to work out. I'll be interested to see what ammo costs and how far it goes.

I just got a sale paper from Grice gun shop today . it has a savage model 17 B. MAG 17 win super mag sav96901 $300 may 2013 expected delivery . ammo approx $15 per 50 . 20 grain @ 3000fps or 25 grain @ 2600fps this is the only rifle I see listed in the 17 win mag rimfire

I read that that the ammo will be available April 2013 but have not read anything about when rifles will be available.. It will take a while. I have ammo, bullets, powder, primers, empty brass ,reloading dies ,scope, and sling for a 17 Hornet but still no rifle.

How long are you going to wait to get the gun?

It is common to have to wait for rifles after a new cartridge is annonced. Im still looking for a CZ 17 Hornet rifle , but Iv heard that CZ is shipping out some Hornet rifles now.. We will be lucky if we have a 17 Win MR rifle by the fall of 2013.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.