Favorite Varmint Cartridge

My hvy barrel Abolt in 22.250/Leupold 6.5x20x40 with 55 gr vmax at 3500fps has been my fave rifle for 10 years...until I got an Abolt sporter in .204. The new place I've started to shoot is typically 100-300 yrd shots and the .204 with the Leupold AR 6-18 and 32gr vmax @ 4225fps fits this bill perfectly and is cheaper to shoot. The old place where not many pd's exist any longer had longer shots on average and the 22.250 seemed more consistent out at 400 yds.

Of course with a late Dec Coues tag this year, it's time to break out the .270 WSM Abolt with the Leupold 6.5x20x40 shooting 140gr accubonds at 3100fps and start cracking pd's at 400-500yds so that a 600-700yd shot at a Coues is not a problem.

I cant believe no one has mentioned the 20 Vartarg or the 20 Tactical. The whole Fireball family is the most fun to shoot in my book. 17 Fireball, 17 Mach 4, 20 VT, and 221 Fireball. They will take care of most people needs out to 300 yards. The Tac 20 shooting a 39 Blitzking will ride the wind and reach past my ability and optics. The 20 cal are definitely the best in my opinion. All these big guns that people have mentioned won't stay cool long enough for faster shooting and have more recoil, taking away your sight picture when you shoot.

Try a Fireball or tac 20 and it will be the one you reach for all the time.

Another one of my favorites,

your eyes aren't deceiving you it does say 17 twist.

Dean

I started fire forming them then I realized I could just take my already formed 6-06AI which I have a lot of, and just neck them down, instant gratification. In the pic they are both 80gr Bergers I seat them out to 3.200" I started at 3.125 with the non formed,
66gr of Retumbo will send them way over 4000 fps how much over I won't say, it always starts name calling and I am tired of it, there is nothing like being called a liar among other things on a public forum when the person calling me out has no way of disproving it.
Anyway with the 12 twist believe it or not I like the 77gr Sierra's the best so far, and with the 14 twist those 69gr sierra's are the Nastiest things I have shot in a long while the FPS is in the twilight zone, with those speeds you would think I am sending a 40gr Vmax speaking of Vmax's I had a hand full of 53gr they were a blast while they lasted. my next batch I am going to go to a faster powder IMR7828 or that new RL26 can't wait. and before I start hearing they usual krap about barrel life these barrels are 30" long with the taper starting further down so I am good for at least 6 setbacks. one thing I have always found Ironic is, if a guy puts a supercharger on his engine everyone is mesmerized, and no one ever mentions how he just reduced his engine life and as soon as a guy hot rods a barrel that is all they can focus on, there is a reason I do this, just like the super charged engine guy "which I have had many" anything else you drive after that feels like a minivan, and in my case these 22-06AI's make my 220 swift feel like a Daisy redrider.

Dean

Here just for poops and giggles, 223AI 80gr Berger 22gr of powder max or close to it.
22-06AI 66gr of powder, gotta love it

Here is a collection of all mt 22 cal hotrods left to right 223AI, 22-250AI, 220 swiftAI, 22-243 Middlestead, 22X55 SwedeAI and 22-06AI

Dean

PS: I could not find any fully formed brass for the, swift, middlestad, and swede, but they still look adorable LOL

Bob,What kinda bullets are you using? Impressive group!

If you are referring to the thumbnail picture, those are 123 grain sierra match kings. 6.5x55 A.I.

Attachments

• ackley_4_shot_001_edit.JPG
    ackley_4_shot_001_edit.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 130
Here are a few others that I have a blast shooting as well, from left to right

6mm Mach IV which is a 7mm Rem Mag necked down to a 6mm Rem Mag I use 264 Wiin Mag Brass

6mm WSM both of these 6mm are 12 twist and can still stabilize a 107 Sierra and 105 vmax's no problem and both send them way over 4000 FPS the 58,65,75,87 Vmax's are Insane.

25 WSM this thing shoots 80s 100s and 120s lights out I am sure if I loaded rocks it would shoot them lights out also. it is also a 12 twist.

Dean

Last edited:
Now that is one nice collection of rounds!! what elevation are you at? I'm at 662' and can't produce those super fast velocities without pressure signs.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.