.17 Hornet

Yea, and there is one more caliber that is making a come back .222 both
CZ and Savage are making rifles in this caliber again, and I,m seeing more
ammo at stores now so I did a up grade on my old Savage 340c with a new
stock, scope mount and scope, it should be good for another 50 years I hope.

Already got them in the UK and almost identicle to my 17A/H in a Ruger 77/22H chassis ie 3,650ft/sec pushing a 20grV/M.
But a gamekeeper friend of mine who has a Savage heavy barreled composit stocked one has just had his bolt come apart in his hand when ejecting a fired case.
He is in love with the calibre and has taken 10 fox in the three months ( aprox )he has had the gun but thinks it is too heavy up front and would like to put a thiner/shorter barrel on to his Cooper 204 action.
Have any of you done this.

Wally

Brian my gamekepper friend whoes bolt came apart on his Savage 17Hornet sent it back and found out that 3 others had been returned with the same problem so he has rejected the gun and found a BSA 22Hornet and is having it re-barreled in 17Hornet.
Wally

Brian my gamekepper friend whoes bolt came apart on his Savage 17Hornet sent it back and found out that 3 others had been returned with the same problem so he has rejected the gun and found a BSA 22Hornet and is having it re-barreled in 17Hornet.
Wally

I would like to know more about the bolt coming apart please.

I would like to know more about the bolt coming apart please.
He had only had the gun 7 weeks and the bolt came apart at the threads he took it back to the retail shop for repair and was told that Edgar Brothers the inporter had already had three other guns with the same problem so he rejected the gun and got a refund.
HE realy liked the calibre since he tried my Ruger 77/22h based 17A/H but he dont re-load so the 17HH was the answer to his dream gun he had taken 10 red fox and countles rabit and corvids in the short time he used it but he comented before it broke that its not a walkabout gun with its long heavy barrel and light stock and when you stick a moderator on the end it was a very ungainly gun and no good to balance on you knee on the tractor or quad.
At the moment he is using my 17A//H and loving it and is waiting for his smith to pick up a BSA 22 HOENET to re-barrel to 17HH with a shorter lighter barrel.
Also heard that a laminate stock had split on the thumbhole version.

Hope this helps

Wally

Thank you big wally.

Do you know if the threaded plug unscrewed or if a part actually broke, I ask because I have one and would like to have any info on the failures.

Thank you big wally.

Do you know if the threaded plug unscrewed or if a part actually broke, I ask because I have one and would like to have any info on the failures.

Did not see it myself but he said in his opinion there was not enough thread contact with the two halfs of the bolt and he was glad he only had it a short time before it broke.
First chance i get i will ask him for more details but not shooting the estate now to near the end of the season and dont want to move his remaining birds away over the shoot boundaries and iin any case its snowing like hell

Wally

I appreciate it I will keep an eye on mine, but I am not in any rush just mainly curious. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.