17 Hornet and Coyotes

Greg Duerr

Has anyone used the 17 Hornady on Coyotes.................I'm loaded up with a 23gr bullet and 11.6gr of VV120 Great load at the range my CZ puts 5 in @ .4 and .3 But have no experience except shooting Ground Squirrels.........
Will be heading out all of Feb. with the Fox Pro and will find out.

Are these day trips? I'd meet up with you if you need a partner. We got two out in the Red Rock area. We are not pelters so i was using 87 gr v-max out of my 257AI. Or I've used my 243 with Barnes varmint grenades They both make a mess out on the white snow.

Sorry, I'm a pelt hunter .........tinny entrance no exit. What do you do if and when a $300 Bobcat comes in .....................??

Sorry, I'm a pelt hunter .........tinny entrance no exit. What do you do if and when a $300 Bobcat comes in .....................??

I walk along with them at a distance and show them that I'm just out for a stroll take a few pictures if I can. There are few animals that I just let live

Must be something about your personality George..........................Coyote see's me and he's heading out.

I was talking about the few bob cats that I have run across like when out deer hunting in no where Nevada. When they have never seen a person. The last time i was walking on crusty snow above some basalt cliff canyons at near Zero degrees on a sunny day in december late mule deer hunt. I came across a series of dog and cat tracks all heading in a path one direction. so I followed the tracks and I came upon what little was left of a range cow that had not been rounded up on BLM range land. Blood all over the snow and very stripped. Mountain lion thoughts came into my mind because in the fall I came across a half covered deer that had been eaten. So now I'm walking and turning around as I go. Then off to my left I see a cat crouched and looking intently at something. It took off in a blaze and jumped through the air tackling another bob cat. They raised hell and then walked together. It was two nearly full grow kittens and then they walked up to Mom. So I walked with them for about a 1/2 mile just 75 feet to 100 feet away and they were going towards the cliffs. They had a cliff face den. I sat above them about 30 some feet above and they would just look at me enjoying the morning sunny day.

I had BLM topography maps and i marked it down where they lived. I came back to Reno and went to the university and told them about the bob cats with no fear of people and they sent a study group out to film and research them in the spring.

I have pictures of mountain lions and bob cats. I just let them do what ever they are doing. Coyotes on the other hand are for killing!

As to coyotes.... This summer in Oregon. driving down the road and I would see a coyote runing across the road or standing out in field mousing. I just pulled over and parked. Then got my rifle out of the case walked around and loaded it........ and they stood there out in the field just looking at me when they got my very best. Maybe young one's that had never been shot at, do you think? I even gave a couple a good chance just using my 357 pistol

After having killed well over a thousand coyotes for both pelts and for predator control over a 50 year period, I've taken them with everything from 22RF to 50BMG including many with 17-222 & 17 Remington. Using any 17 cal in my opinion usually has little pelt damage but a much higher animal loss. Even the 22 hornet won't anchor a dog with consistency, the 223 with 50-55 GR super explosive projectiles is more consistent and gives a bit better range limit. A 6mm with fmj does very well too but shoot thru ricochets can be a concern! In the hay days of high pelt prices I used a 222 with great success on both coyotes and bobcats but calling at nite a 12ga with 4buck still rains out to close to 100 yards. I'm lucky because of land holdings in 2 states that allow nite hunting for predators that until nite/thermal scopes it what I used.
The one coyote I shot with a 50BMG using an Amax at 600yds had a quarter size hole in and out, it was loads of fun but not my idea of a coyote gun!
My recommendation is shoot what is accurate and hold the range to get the best chance of a clean kill. The person who taught me to hunt coyotes was a pure pelt hunter and he killed far more than I have all with a 22mag and rarely took a shot over
100yds.
Gain calling and techniques that work and you will discover a hunting sport that is very satisfying!
Hunt hard, be safe and have fun!
Doc
gun)

In my experience that little 23gr. Slug may leave you wanting for more energy.A large capacity 17 center fire is more than adequate for Coyotes to 300 yrds.and more with the proper bullet at high velocity. A 9 twist 17 barrel will stabilize the 30 gr. bullets and if pushed to 3800+ will provide clean kills at long range.
Not sure if the little Hornet case has enough capacity to make a reliable Coyote killer. The .17 Remington is probably the best factory offering and will push the 25s and 30s at adequate velocity.

The factory 20gr v-max works well behind the shoulder on broadside shots. Dumps them where they stand with no exit. Will not penetrate on shoulders or rumps. Blows up immediately.

Yeah it will work when all goes right!! But a lot depends on how fast you push the little.20 gr. and how.far.is.far.for.your.application. .Much above 3k the plastic tip.bullets start to .misbehave as in.splash wounds I shot 5/6 with the 20 Vmax at 3500-3800 and had a.large number.of.runners out of.that loading. The couple I recovered had large flesh sounds but no.penetration.into chest cavity.I.have up on.plastic.tipped.bullets at high speed.for.yotes---- if you save fur!
Chan Nagel..akes.excellent.25/and 30/gr. Hollow points.that.dl.an.excellent.job without much fur.damage. I'm shooting.a.17 Predator.and can.push the.30s to 4k if.i.choose.to.at.that speed.with.a.30 Nagel 400/yards.is.quite.doable with.few.runners.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.