CZ 17 Hornet

Mark M.

I have a CZ 17 hornet it shoots half moa with factory 20 grain Hornady, My question is, those of you who are reloading for your CZ, are you able to load tighter than half moa, thanks

have a CZ 527 american in 22 hornet. And it is absolutely my favorite rifle. It shot less than one inch groups from the day I got it with factory 35gr v-max.

I have a CZ 17 hornet it shoots half moa with factory 20 grain Hornady, My question is, those of you who are reloading for your CZ, are you able to load tighter than half moa, thanks

The factory stuff shoots pretty darn good in these CZ 527 17 Hornets. You should be able to dial a load in that'll probably shoot a little better and my hand loads definitely shoot faster than factory ammo. The one thing that makes it tough to really dial a load in with these CZ's and just about all factory guns for that matter, is they come with soooooo much freebore and you'll never be able to get the bullets even remotely close to the lands.

I just bought another CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet this past week and knowing how they chamber these things at the factory, I'm considering having the barrel set back a couple threads and have it re-chambered with a match reamer and much less freebore so I can touch the lands. BUT, I'm having a hard time convincing myself to do that because these dam things always shoot so well, even with their oversized chambers and long freebore.

I have a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet that shoots just under .4 with my hand loads. It was quite a long road to find that combination, but it can be done. My rifle is very finicky when it gets pretty dirty, say 80 rounds or so.

Does the rifle shoot consistent half moa groups? Also if the rifle will shoot half moa groups with a different lot of the factory loads you have you have a exceptional rifle.

I have been running 1680 for powder in mine and it shoots very well. The Hornady 20 grainers shoot really well. The CZ also shoots the Midway Dogtown 20 grain hollow points. With the Midway bullets, I have feeding issues with the Savage, but the CZ has not given me any problems with them. And you can get them cheap for a lot of shooting.

Yes it does, I have only shot factory loaded Hornady 20gr vmax so far.
When I said different lot I meant a different lot number of the same Hornady ammo that you are shooting not a different manufacturer, FYI a different lot number is ammo that was made at a different time with components manufactured at a different time. Also how many half moa groups have you fired with this rifle and how many shots do you fire for your groups and what distance. It is not that simple to clean with jb to make a rifle accurate. Is your barrel a heavy or sporter barrel.

Last edited:
I never bothered to ck. lot numbers although they are most likely all the same, ammo was purchased at the same time, I bought this gun to hunt with not target shoot, but the few times I did shoot for groups they were 5 to 10 shots each, I'm very happy with it, hope this helps

I took the load recipie from Hornady and tried H110 at their max charge of 9.5 grains, I got my seating depth by using the factory OAL. Shot several .5" groups at 100 yards. Also used the max charge listed for 1680 of 12.4 at factory seating depth and shoot .5" groups at 100 yards regularly. I ended up using the 1680 due to the velocity. I'm sure there are several other combinations that will work well, but that is what I settled on and it worked great for me. The combo has ruined a sunny day for hundreds of prairie dogs in a very exciting way for me!

I've found Accurate 2200 to work the best in mine. Hornady brass is crap, but annealling really helps reduce the split necks.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.