17 Fireball

Your right about that ..................................my next rifle will be a 17 Remington

have you ever used the 17 Remington 25gr HP on Fox or Bobcats......................Coyotes are tuffer and bigger. Would love to hear back from anyone who has used the 17 Rem on Fox or bobcats

Your right about that ..................................my next rifle will be a 17 Remington

have you ever used the 17 Remington 25gr HP on Fox or Bobcats......................Coyotes are tuffer and bigger. Would love to hear back from anyone who has used the 17 Rem on Fox or bobcats

When I lived in Idaho, I shot, Bobcats, and Fox and a couple of Whitetail bucks ( neck and head shoots) at under 200 yards, none walked away from the meeting. I've lost a few of the Yotes when I started trying to push the range out past 400 plus yards with wintered up Yotes, the .17 Rem kill's Chucks ok at just over 400 plus but not much farther.
It's a very fur friendly caliber for; Bob's, Fox and Yotes... hard to kill a Porcupine with, unless you head pop them, it's the quills they expand the bullet to soon, most shots for them were under 100 yards.. may have worked better if I was farther away and bullet(s) had a chance to slow down a little.
Cheer's

Have you ever used the 25gr Golds from the Woodchuck Den? He also offers 27gr and 30gr.............both boat-tails....................

What kind of Fur damage did you have on the Fox and Bobs.........................Ive seen Red Fox up in Idaho, did not know you had any up there. I was over by Chalis....................

Have you ever used the 25gr Golds from the Woodchuck Den? He also offers 27gr and 30gr.............both boat-tails....................

What kind of Fur damage did you have on the Fox and Bobs.........................Ive seen Red Fox up in Idaho, did not know you had any up there. I was over by Chalis....................

Keep the shot in the center thick part of the chest on both and you'll have to squeeze them just to find the entry hole.
Never used the Golds, I have Berger, Hornady and a couple of customs they all work well.. to tell the truth I bought all the Remington 25gr HP's I could get my hands on when I found out they were going to stop making the bullets for hand loaders, and I still have and use them.
Boat tail's aren't really that important in the .17's bullets.
As for bullet weights; I've tried most of them but the 25gr works the best for me.
Cheer's

Your right........................On the Best Fur load Posting , one guy who has taken over 2000 coyotes over the years with a 17 Remington said the same thing. The 25gr HP works so well that he never bothered going to anything else. He said that he has shot over 200 cats and most face you so chest shot with not exit hole are the result. I have called in sever cats and that face you ............................

So, you can get an honest 4000fps with the 25 out of the 17 Remington.

Does your rifle have a factory barrel or Custom

Your right........................On the Best Fur load Posting , one guy who has taken over 2000 coyotes over the years with a 17 Remington said the same thing. The 25gr HP works so well that he never bothered going to anything else. He said that he has shot over 200 cats and most face you so chest shot with not exit hole are the result. I have called in sever cats and that face you ............................

So, you can get an honest 4000fps with the 25 out of the 17 Remington.

Does your rifle have a factory barrel or Custom

Yes... the 4040 fps is the velocity (SD 7 fps) I get in my Remington M700 Classic factory barrel, with the load I posted.. It's a great load with no pressure.. I think Remington is using VV135 powder in their factory load which they list at 4040 fps with their 25gr bullet.. When I first pulled a Remington factory .17 load apart to check the power weight and type, I noticed it looked like VV135 which I had used in my .223 Rem load. I scaled the Remington powder charge and came out at 22.8grs. I checked my VihtaVuori Oy book second edition and pow! there it was in the .17 Rem load data.. 22.8grs of VV135 at 4040 fps.
If your shooting a .17 Rem this is the load; I've put other on to it and they swear by it as do I.
Cheer's

Funny you mentioned your Rem 700 Classic......................I just put a bid on a New in the Box Rem 700 Classic 17 Remington..................The guy wants $900 for it. I did not bid that on it but may..............give him what he wants.

So in your opinion the Factory Rifle shoots really accurate? Did you make any modifications to it like beding the actioin, trigger adjustments etc.?

This Rifle has a 1x10 twist or a 1x9 ?

Funny you mentioned your Rem 700 Classic......................I just put a bid on a New in the Box Rem 700 Classic 17 Remington..................The guy wants $900 for it. I did not bid that on it but may..............give him what he wants.

So in your opinion the Factory Rifle shoots really accurate? Did you make any modifications to it like beding the actioin, trigger adjustments etc.?

This Rifle has a 1x10 twist or a 1x9 ?

Nope... out of the box, cleaning, and on the range for a little break in, that was it. 1-9

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.