Winchester Staball HD Load Data

I have noticed there is no data for 180 gr or lighter bullets.
Any ideas on why?Maybe not a great idea?180 gr is just a little bit under the 190 gr load data so I may reduce by 5 percent and try just for kicks and giggles.

I talked to Winchester this am and asked why there wasn't any data for the lighter bullets and the response was…it is usually an indication the powder is too slow for that bullet and the given case capacity.
FYI: I asked when there would be data for the 257B, 270B, and 340 Weatherby's. They said their test barrels for those Weatherbys were shot out and they would test those when they had new test barrels. They currently have the 257 Weatherby test barrel on order. There is data posted on their site for the 6.5 RPM and I will be doing load development on it in the future. I would like to start development for my 257B and 270B but will have to figure out a safe starting point. I don't know if the updated version of Quickload has the HD data yet.
I will also post additional info / data when I have it available.
Duane

You might find this interesting. It is from another thread where the question was asked what is the Ba, burn rate in QL for Staball HD?

Got some interesting thoughts on that and the reason it has been developed by Winchester with Hodgdon.

Not that it helps in the Staball HD discussion, but the latest iteration of Quickload updates (which can now be downloaded instead of snail mail, for a more modest $15 or so in USA) DOES finally have Staball 6.5 data...

Not that it helps in the Staball HD discussion, but the latest iteration of Quickload updates (which can now be downloaded instead of snail mail, for a more modest $15 or so in USA) DOES finally have Staball 6.5 data...
I just got my update disk dated 2023 and it did NOT have
Staball HD? Is your disk dated later?

Read my post again. I did not say that Staball HD was nin the latest Quickload. I probably should not have posted to avoid confusion, but I am interested in the Staball line generally, so was reading the thread. Only 6.5 is the latest iteration of Quickload.

Read my post again. I did not say that Staball HD was nin the latest Quickload. I probably should not have posted to avoid confusion, but I am interested in the Staball line generally, so was reading the thread. Only 6.5 is the latest iteration of Quickload.
Yes, I misinderstood your post, and see now all you were saying is QL now has Stsball 6.5.

I talked to Winchester this am and asked why there wasn't any data for the lighter bullets and the response was…it is usually an indication the powder is too slow for that bullet and the given case capacity.
FYI: I asked when there would be data for the 257B, 270B, and 340 Weatherby's. They said their test barrels for those Weatherbys were shot out and they would test those when they had new test barrels. They currently have the 257 Weatherby test barrel on order. There is data posted on their site for the 6.5 RPM and I will be doing load development on it in the future. I would like to start development for my 257B and 270B but will have to figure out a safe starting point. I don't know if the updated version of Quickload has the HD data yet.
I will also post additional info / data when I have it available.
Duane
I finally got some HD to test, but I hit pressure way earlier than I was hoping for.
I use GRT and Staball HD was around 25fps faster than my Ramshot Magnum profile. If you have a Ramshot Magnum profile in QL you could try some low pressure loads with Magnum and work up from there.

I finally got some HD to test, but I hit pressure way earlier than I was hoping for.
I use GRT and Staball HD was around 25fps faster than my Ramshot Magnum profile. If you have a Ramshot Magnum profile in QL you could try some low pressure loads with Magnum and work up from there.
Yes, I thought this would be close to Retumbo. So, that makes sense.

Magnum is .345, Retumbo slower at .337

So, it was faster than Retumbo too.

It was based on your results between H1000 and Ramshot Magnum....

I'll have to test mine too. I bought 1 lb.

I tested Stabal-HD in my Wby Vanguard 24" 300 WM and 200gr ELD-X last May. Got this node 5.5 at 2840 fps. I guessed some parameter values in QuickLoad that were close to Retumbo and then refined those after shooting some of these loads. This is about 100 fps slower than what RL-26 does and close to the same as Retumbo or H1000. This was crummy Winchester brass too.

Attachments

• 20230628_065054.jpg
    20230628_065054.jpg
    970.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Recent Posts