Winchester Staball HD Load Data

Nice! Right between 8133 and retumbo on the chart! And it's a high density ball powder!!!!! This could be a very good thing. I can see it being very very useful in the 257 wby shooting 115 grains and up, especially with a fast twist to take the 134 eld m 135 Berger 140 chinchaga and black hole bullets.

I tried this in my 6.5 SAUM and lost so much velocity that it wasn't usable for me. This was compared to RL26. RL 26 could get me up to 2900 fps with 156 bergers but the rifle likes something in the low 2800s. Winchester HD was never going to make it for me unless I went way over recommended max charge wt. If you want to try it because others have had some success, I would highly recommend you try something less than an 8 lb purchase.
If you lived closer, I would give you 1/2 pound to try because I started with four 1#s of the HD. I'm running H1000 with my 300 WM and 215 Bergers and like that combination. RL26 with the 300 WM with the 215s would be a close second. If you were running lighter bullets RL23 might work but probably not with the 212 ELDX. The HD grouped well for me with the 6.5 SAUM but losing 150 fps for the same group size seemed like a poor trade. I don't currently have an application for the HD so the powder will likely sit on my shelf for an extended time unless I stumble across someone local that wants it.
Well this isn't confidence inspiring. There is another guy local to me that has one pounders, I may snag one to try before I go all in. He's also got H1000.

I tried h1k in my winmag before but never could find anything g it cared for. New barrel and new chamber now though so it may like it now.

Having the 6.5 variety on hand and not used yet I might get both match and hd a go? As far as if and when ql will have either of those powders updated it might be awhile, cuz now RL11 is out. Or ql is waiting for RL's 13, 14, 18, 20, 21, 24, 27, 28, 29. 30, 31 and 32 :rolleyes: o_O

Any updates on this powder? Thinking about picking up an 8lb jug but I've never tried it. I'll be loading it in a 300winmag with 215 hybrids and 212eldx. Currently shooting magpro but the temp stability makes me want to try the staballHD.
Howdy, did you ever find recommended load data for the 215 in 300Wm using HD.
I am interested also. Thanks David

Howdy, did you ever find recommended load data for the 215 in 300Wm using HD.
I am interested also. Thanks David
The site did not offer a load for 215 gr bullets.You may have to go rogue and work up a load.I have done that for someone a few years ago who does not reload and cannot find loaded ammo in the bullet size he wanted.
I went with the nearest size(I think it was a 220 gr) and work up a load watching for signs of overpressure.Caution:It will come quick!
I went from shooting just fine and .5 gr more made the bolt hard to open.When approaching high loads go in small increments.
Just my experience.Old Rooster

The site did not offer a load for 215 gr bullets.You may have to go rogue and work up a load.I have done that for someone a few years ago who does not reload and cannot find loaded ammo in the bullet size he wanted.
I went with the nearest size(I think it was a 220 gr) and work up a load watching for signs of overpressure.Caution:It will come quick!
I went from shooting just fine and .5 gr more made the bolt hard to open.When approaching high loads go in small increments.
Just my experience.Old Rooster
Thank you, I picked up a 8 lb. Jug.
And the burn rate is close to Retumbo, that is one of my favorite powders.
So given a chance I would like to try it.
I guess I need to get serious about Q.L.
Thanks Again David

I think you are right.Burn rate has fooled me before but you have to try it to see.
Been dealing with health problems this whole year so far so I have not shot much this year but I am hoping and praying for a change.
I have 2 1 pound canisters and a burning desire to find out if the HD powder will work for 180 gr bullets.It may be magic or a dud but we are all have the same feelings,"We Have To Know For Sure!"
I have some 200 gr bullets so it will not go to waste.

A project for the wife got me last weekend. I'm hoping to get some loaded through the week with the 215 and some 208 eldm and shoot this weekend. Been some really nice mornings here on the Texas gulf coast this week. In the mid to upper sixties. Hopefully that hangs around this weekend.

A project for the wife got me last weekend. I'm hoping to get some loaded through the week with the 215 and some 208 eldm and shoot this weekend. Been some really nice mornings here on the Texas gulf coast this week. In the mid to upper sixties. Hopefully that hangs around this weekend.
If you get to go and shoot please give reports as it will help everyone.

I think you are right.Burn rate has fooled me before but you have to try it to see.
Been dealing with health problems this whole year so far so I have not shot much this year but I am hoping and praying for a change.
I have 2 1 pound canisters and a burning desire to find out if the HD powder will work for 180 gr bullets.It may be magic or a dud but we are all have the same feelings,"We Have To Know For Sure!"
I have some 200 gr bullets so it will not go to waste.
Hoping and praying you get thru health issues quickly! 🙏

Just looking for the limit. Max overall length in my chamber with the 215 hybrid is 3.730" and I seated these at 3.650"

After looking back at a few targets with the 215's most of them showed a trend towards liking more jump, I've shot them from .060"-.114" so I gave these .080" jump.

I'll update after I get to shoot them. Maybe this evening, probably tomorrow morning.
20230922_062647.jpg