Winchester primer problem

earl1704

Loaded 40 test rounds for 7mm Remington Mag. 9 out of the rounds did not fire, primer dented but no powder ignition. Unloaded the rounds and looked at them under magnifier the anvil was still there but 5 of the 9 you could put a toothpick down one side of the anvil past where the charge would go. They also looked 'dirty' which could be the powder charge that was sitting on top of them.
Has anyone had this problems with Winchester (or any) primers WLRM LHL495G?

In most cases the primers are not seated to the bottom of the pocket. There are generally some differences in both primers and pocket depths, so depending on what type primer seater you are using, that could be the problem.

thats why I use 215m's, never had any issues after. Ive used CCI, Win and Rem all had issues or made a good load bad.

You may also have a bad firing pin spring??

If you have any primers from the Lot used in these problem shells, Check them for missing priming compound.
Primers quality, Proper primer pocket size and proper seating of primers are very important in consistent ignition of the powder charge.

Primer consistency is one thing many bench rest shooters and 1000 yd. shooters depend on.
They will weigh their primers on precise scales and sort by weight for more uniform ignition of competition cartridges.

Not saying you do not have a printer problem, but how long has it been since the firing pin and spring has been cleaned? I had a pierced primer once, the next round would dent the primer but not ignite, cocked again and it fired it, then next one would fire but the following would do the same. I had to take the bolt apart and clean the residue out of the firing pin and spring, never had another problem afterwards.

Loaded 40 test rounds for 7mm Remington Mag. 9 out of the rounds did not fire, primer dented but no powder ignition. Unloaded the rounds and looked at them under magnifier the anvil was still there but 5 of the 9 you could put a toothpick down one side of the anvil past where the charge would go. They also looked 'dirty' which could be the powder charge that was sitting on top of them.
Where have you been storing them? Humidity can make primers go dead. Some years ago I had that happen when in the basement. I called CCI and talked to a tech. How I found this out. I moved them upstairs and they dried out and came back to life none the worse.

I actually had one misfire, thought I didn't chamber a round, cycled it and a bullet fell out. Sent the second bullet that fired. I looked at both and they have identical firing pin marks. Out of the 10 bullets I made last night only that one didn't fire. It was a brand new brick so I will keep track of it was a fluke or a bad batch. It was also a 7mm mag with Winchester magnum primers. Good luck with your situation. Aloha

This past week I fired over 100 rds in several different fire arms, all with Win primers. Not one misfire. These primers are about three yrs old. Stored in military ammo cans under stable temps. Sounds more like a firing pin or loading problem. Have you fired Win brand factory ammo? Does it fire with out issue. I would give cleaning the inside of the bolt, firing pin channel, a look at. Check that all primers are seated properly. Then try firing empty cases with primer only to see if they fire. Sorry to hear about your problem. Wish I were there to help you out. I believe we all want to help eac other.

I bought one batch of 1000 Winchester magnum primers that are about 20% duds. I can use CCI or Federal with no problems, but the Winchester are duds (checked in several rifles). So, I only use the Winchesters for plinking now.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts