primer seating problems???

shawnb

hey guys. ive used hand priming tools, the primer seater on the rcbs press and the primers arent seating all the way in my 7mm rem mag cases. ive used different cases and primer combos and no luck.

help!!

When i seat the primer and place it on a flat surface it wobbles around. I triend seating and turning and seating again several times to see if its an edge that doesnt seat (i read to try that somewhere) and no luck. Plus when i run my finger over it its obvious that its not fully seated. Ive thought maybe the shell holder isnt holding the case tight enough?

Last edited:
Use a primer pocket uniformer to be certain the pockets are square at the bottom.

It takes quite a bit of pressure to seat a primer with good brass. You say you're having the problem with different brass different primers and different tools. My guess is you need to apply more pressure. You can actually feel the primer seat in time even using the RCBS Press priming tool.

Thanks guys but i was curious as to why my shell holder held the case so losely so i bought a new hornady holder and it works. So issue solved.

Thanks for all the replies

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts