Winchester model 70 chambered in.300 weatherby

robo57

I have a model 70 chambered in .300 Weatherby Magnum the serial number tells me it's from around 1986
Great looking rifle smooth action I'm thinking about getting a magna brake installed from magna port international I live in the area where they are,I want to shoot this rifle more but my old skinny body won't take the kick to well for much longer 😣
Were there many of these chambered in .300 weatherby magnum? And how long did they make them, just trying to get some background
Thanks

Attachments

• A85DE022-2608-4B83-B374-E691B113AF0D.jpeg
    A85DE022-2608-4B83-B374-E691B113AF0D.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 88
I had one too, a push feed post '64 model. It was blued and an early Featherweight style stock. At the time, Winchester and Remington were vying for sales, and both were chambering Weatherby's line. It was just after them not being proprietary anymore. Ammo and brass was made by both, alas, neither load it anymore.
From memory, they were only available for a few short runs over 5 years.

Cheers.

I had one in a stainless classic with tupper ware stock. It was a good shooter. I was always a weatherby fan when i was younger so when winchester offered the 300 weathereby i bought one. If I remember right it was only offer for a couple of year. I switched to the 300 rum when winchester offered it in the 70 classic.

I sure am jealous of you. Ive wanted one of those for some time now. If I can offer some muzzle brake advice. Get a great brake. I prefer a side baffled brake but some prefer the full radius ones with holes all around . Depends on how much you shoot prone? Side baffled wont blow dirt in your face. Id highly recommend you call unknown Munitions in Idaho and have them set you up with one of theirs. Ive found them to be the best. Even the small diameter (like you'll need) will cut a ton of recoil. It will make that light rifle feel like a pussycat. Get it done and enjoy shooting that beautiful beast.

I have a model 70 chambered in .300 Weatherby Magnum the serial number tells me it's from around 1986
Great looking rifle smooth action I'm thinking about getting a magna brake installed from magna port international I live in the area where they are,I want to shoot this rifle more but my old skinny body won't take the kick to well for much longer 😣
Were there many of these chambered in .300 weatherby magnum? And how long did they make them, just trying to get some background
Thanks
Around 1986 I was interested in purchasing a model 70 in 300 Weatherby. It was only available thru the Custom Shop. Around $2400 - $2600. To rich for me. Around 2001 I purchased a Supergrade in 300 RUM. Only 400 were made. Cabela's told me to bring it in for appraisal; Exibition Grade piece of walnut but no Custom Shop markings. Not many were chambered in 300 Weatherby but they're much more plentiful than the RUM's. I live close to Magnaport as well. Had a 12 ga. slug gun pro-ported. Good work but the results were less than I expected. I would NOT alter my Weatherby chambered Model 70. You may kill the value. I live in Troy, MI. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I sure am jealous of you. Ive wanted one of those for some time now. If I can offer some muzzle brake advice. Get a great brake. I prefer a side baffled brake but some prefer the full radius ones with holes all around . Depends on how much you shoot prone? Side baffled wont blow dirt in your face. Id highly recommend you call unknown Munitions in Idaho and have them set you up with one of theirs. Ive found them to be the best. Even the small diameter (like you'll need) will cut a ton of recoil. It will make that light rifle feel like a pussycat. Get it done and enjoy shooting that beautiful beast.
Thanks for the advice, makes sense

I just saw a Model 70 Classic in .270 Weatherby Mag in the used gun rack. "G"series serial # . Had no idea they chambered Weatherby cartridges.

When Magna-Port first came out I sent them my Winchester Model 70 in 300 WM.
They done a fine job and I still shoot it to this day! There were no brakes that we have today to chose from!!
WOW I had the same rifle I think.
Win. Model 70 Classic in 300 Wm .
And I had the Magna Ports done.
I still have the barrel. That was the new thing to try back then. Purchased 1991.👍

Attachments

• 20231231_184756.jpg
    20231231_184756.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 20
WOW I had the same rifle I think.
Win. Model 70 Classic in 300 Wm .
And I had the Magna Ports done.
I still have the barrel. That was the new thing to try back then. Purchased 1991.👍
Mine was actually they're "Magna-Brake"system
Which is removable and they furnished a knurled thread protector
Very nice job they did
It was actually on my Weatherby Mark five
That I had and foolishly sold
1704583688665.png