Winchester Model 70 Accuracy Issues - Help Needed

image.png

NDC, I am also running my 180s more than 500 ft a second faster than you. I would try 150s and see what happens. It sucked when I found out about twist rate after the fact. Schooling is expensive, that is why I joined this site.

My favorite rifle right now is a Winchester M70-EW. Ordered new but I also ordered a Bartlein SS 8 twist w/ 3B contour. Took them both straight to the gunsmith w/ a Timney trigger. It's a 264 but it's a tack hammer. But I also reload. Ran over 100 bullets down it but I have my load now. Load development takes quite a bit of time unless you get lucky. You might find someone at your range that may do that for you. Or you may find a factory load that works. But as posted previously, you will need lighter projectiles.

My favorite rifle right now is a Winchester M70-EW. Ordered new but I also ordered a Bartlein SS 8 twist w/ 3B contour. Took them both straight to the gunsmith w/ a Timney trigger. It's a 264 but it's a tack hammer. But I also reload. Ran over 100 bullets down it but I have my load now. Load development takes quite a bit of time unless you get lucky. You might find someone at your range that may do that for you. Or you may find a factory load that works. But as posted previously, you will need lighter projectiles.

Did you get a new stock or were you able to make the bell and Carlson Factory Stock work with the new barrel profile?

I'm curious as to why you think in need to move to a lighter bullet? 180 gr is pretty standard for 300 win mag.

Sorry, missed your last post. There was a guy at the range I use that had very similar problem w/ his. He had 300WSM . He said if he waited for the barrel to cool off after every shot it would group but he couldn't shoot 2-3 in succession. I think it's the barrel contour on the WSM. May be yours too. That's why I just ordered the Bartlein 3B for mine.

Sorry, missed your last post. There was a guy at the range I use that had very similar problem w/ his. He had 300WSM . He said if he waited for the barrel to cool off after every shot it would group but he couldn't shoot 2-3 in succession. I think it's the barrel contour on the WSM. May be yours too. That's why I just ordered the Bartlein 3B for mine.

Were You able to get the 3B to fit in the factory stock?

Did you get a new stock or were you able to make the bell and Carlson Factory Stock work with the new barrel profile?

I'm curious as to why you think in need to move to a lighter bullet? 180 gr is pretty standard for 300 win mag.
Same stock worked fine. My smith reworked the channel and bedded the action after chambering/ fluting, etc.

I'm going to guess it's an accumulation of issues. I suspect 1) the barrel is making contact when fired. 2) The barrel sucks 3) You're operating the scope in the edges of its adjustment, could be an issue even in a good scope 4) The mounts just don't sound right.
I'd start by taking piece of cardboard, or even a folded target, and create enough fore end pressure, the barrel can't contact any other point, enough so you may need to have some one pull the stock away from the barrel. If nothing else you'll likely find POI noticeably higher. Next I'd fire lap the barrel, then I'd try another scope, and lastly I would start from scratch with the bases, and rings, maybe a 20 MOA rail to have the scope back in the middle of its operating range.
Having participated in a few of these death spirals, refusing to throw good money after bad is a legitimate solution. 4" groups are lousy, and what I'm suggesting, will likely only get you as far as mediocrity.

Is the scope touching the barrel? Are you sure the scope is in good working order? The other thing that gives me pause is that you stated you lapped the rings. I have seen lapped rings that will not hold the scope. I don't think there is a single ring manufacture that is ok with you lapping their rings. Also check all the action and scope screws to make sure they are torqued to spec.

I still think you have an optics issue with the statement that you only have half a turn left on the elevation turret.

Good luck.

Steve
This sounds exactly what I went through. Several boxes of $40-$50 ammo that one time would shoot a .75 group at 300 yards and the next an 8" group at 100. Finally one day the windage knob suddenly quit working. Sent the scope back to Leupold, they replaced it with a brand new VXI. Problem immediatly solved. Now best group with 168 VLD was 0.58 at 200 yds. Then I shot a deer at 390 yards, one shot through the heart. I had agonized many months over my erratic shooting but that's all over now.

Well, I bought a new EW in 338 WM about 4 or 5 years ago. It could group 2 shots and totally throw the third (or the second). It also wouldn't eject spent brass reliably. It would spin it around and leave it sitting in the port. I had it re-done by a "professional" to a 338 Norma Mag. What a nightmare! Then sent it off to another guy to rebarrel it to a 300 Win Mag. Haven't shot it yet. I pretty much hate looking at the thing.

IMO, these Winchester Extreme Weather's are like a trophy wife. All the right parts but nothing but misery. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought a rifle that had a barrel so thin, I could use it as a silly straw. Winchester model 70 (modern), the rifleman's rifle. What a joke... After having owned one, all I can say is, "the new Winchester model 70 is for pretenders and nothing more". I was a bone head for buying one and have no plans for getting another.

Oh... and get this...

I called the Winchester dudes and asked about the accuracy of them. The first guy I talked to said they were the best thing he's ever shot. After I started having problems, the next guy told me to expect nothing better that 2-1/2" at 100 yards. Actually, the second guy was an honest man.

Don't waste your time with Winchester model 70. Just get a shotgun and shoot slugs out of it. But don't buy a Winchester shotgun. I have one and it's been nothing but problems.

Dang... don't ever trust a gunwriter. Put your trust in people who buy and shoot guns like you do.

Last edited:
....Well, I bought a new EW in 338 WM about 4 or 5 years ago.... I don't know what I was thinking when I bought a rifle that had a barrel so thin, I could use it as a silly straw......

Played with a friends .338, results similar, but a bit better.

These light weight magnum barrels, especially with brakes, can whip a bunch more than "dollar bill free floated". Combined with a stock that flexes readily, and it's a surprise any of them shoots.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.