Accuracy of Winchester model 70

Sneuses

Am considering the purchase of a Winchester model 70 Super Grade. Yes it's a pretty rifle, but my concern is are they accurate? My interest is in the 264 Winchester Magnum round one and two the ones that were assembled in Portugal. Looking for owners opinion in both chambering and the quality of work done. I am a reloader so I can customize ammunition for the rifle

Last edited:
Accuracy on factory rifles is on a case by case basis imo. But I'd double check the barrel twist on Winchesters in 264 Win. They can be pretty slow so you might not be able to shoot the heavier bullets. Good luck!. BTW I love Winchester model 70's.

Accuracy on factory rifles is on a case by case basis imo. But I'd double check the barrel twist on Winchesters in 264 Win. They can be pretty slow so you might not be able to shoot the heavier bullets. Good luck!. BTW I love Winchester model 70's.
I have a 6.5 PRC for a bit of speed, I just like a 264 bullet with the right load it's more than enough. I did have a model 70 once in the past and it was stole, just looking to replace a memory of a great rifle.

The Portugal guns are sooo much better in finish and assembly than the turds that were coming out of New Haven at the end. As for accuracy, every piece of wood is different so as stated it's a case by case, but there are always remedies with a wood stock. You will be impressed with these M70s compared to previous generations.

The Portugal guns are sooo much better in finish and assembly than the turds that were coming out of New Haven at the end. As for accuracy, every piece of wood is different so as stated it's a case by case, but there are always remedies with a wood stock. You will be impressed with these M70s compared to previous generations.
Just curious if all the spit and polish is worth it, I have several sub 1/2 M.O.A. rifles. Just curious as to what people are doing with theirs. Trigger jobs, bedding the stock and all the other tricks. Big glass is worth it's weight in gold

I bought a Mod 70 with a laminated stock (Coyote version) and a Benchmark barrel in .338 Edge. Seller showed me some great groups; came with a NF scope, so I bought it. Very accurate with 90 gr H1000 and 300 Bergers. I wouldn't pick a Mod 70 to build an accurate rifle, but back in the day it was the go to for 1000 yard shooting.

I bought a Mod 70 with a laminated stock (Coyote version) and a Benchmark barrel in .338 Edge. Seller showed me some great groups; came with a NF scope, so I bought it. Very accurate with 90 gr H1000 and 300 Bergers. I wouldn't pick a Mod 70 to build an accurate rifle, but back in the day it was the go to for 1000 yard shooting.
Not looking for per se a long ranger as I just had a 7mm PRC built complete custom. I would not mind accurizing a 264 win mag as I like a m70 and a 264 bullet is pretty for Whitetails