Accuracy of Winchester model 70

My wife bought me a 1990 Win 70 Supergrade 338 Win Mag for my coming home present after Desert Shield/Desert Storm. It was the first year it came back into production and it shoots and looks great. I've only shot Nosler 210 Partitions and 225 Accubonds through it, but they are all less than 1" 3 round groups at 200 yards.

Just curious if all the spit and polish is worth it, I have several sub 1/2 M.O.A. rifles. Just curious as to what people are doing with theirs. Trigger jobs, bedding the stock and all the other tricks. Big glass is worth it's weight in gold
Weather the spit and polish is worth it is all in the eye of the beholder.

My wife bought me a 1990 Win 70 Supergrade 338 Win Mag for my coming home present after Desert Shield/Desert Storm. It was the first year it came back into production and it shoots and looks great. I've only shot Nosler 210 Partitions and 225 Accubonds through it, but they are all less than 1" 3 round groups at 200 yards.
Not sure how many people here realize what an elite unit the 75th Ranger Regiment is. Were you deployed to Somalia in 93 as well (I know, that was 3rd Battalion)?

Not sure how many people here realize what an elite unit the 75th Ranger Regiment is. Were you deployed to Somalia in 93 as well (I know, that was 3rd Battalion)?
I was a Grenada Ranger. Old school Ranger, back in the day when Doc Donovan was a SFC and Gary Littrell (MOH) was my FSGT. Later CPT David Grange was my CO.

RD57
Thank you for your service!
Semper Fi!
Your wife did a great job in getting you one of the best cartridges to hunt anything/-PERIOD!
Also a great job in the model of Rifle - Super Grade Model 70-who would not want one!

We bought a .325WSM Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow Camo SS when the .325 WSM was introduced in 2005. It was made by Winchester in New Haven, CT. and it shoots 1/2" moa with H-4350 Nosler AB 200gr. One of our best rifles and will be the last to be sold.
Then bought a Sister Rifle in 25WSSM and it was made during the transition from Winchester to Browning. Accuracy was increasingly worse with every shot. Sent it back to then Browning and they would not repair or send it back to us due to safety issues. Only got a refund from what we originally paid. LOST MONEY.
I will say the Model 70 is one of the BEST Rifles ever made. Just see when it was manufactured. There were a lot of issues with union workers during the Transition period from Winchester to Browning.

Last edited:
I was a Grenada Ranger. Old school Ranger, back in the day when Doc Donovan was a SFC and Gary Littrell (MOH) was my FSGT. Later CPT David Grange was my CO.
David Grange was in Delta Force when my old 1SG was in that unit (and Charlie Beckwith commanded it). My 1SG and I took over a separate company in Alaska - what a stud. He is really old school; doesn't want his name even mentioned, but his first name is Doug. He was a CSM in the 82nd during Desert Storm; he then went back to SOCOM. One of my old platoon sergeants told me he ended up being CSM for all of SOCOM. I still converse with him via email; I made a post about him on LinkedIn and said he was the best leader of rank with whom I ever served (it was really easy being a CoCdr when you had him for a 1SG!). His son's widow (his son Paul died in AFG 18 Sept 2010) showed it to him and he asked me to delete it. I was a bit miffed so I asked him if I could keep it if I omitted mention of Delta Force; he was okay with that. He should have been SMA; he was that good, but back then, you were not going to be SMA coming from SOCOM. Mike Weimer, whom Doug knows well, changed that.

I also converse with Larry Perino from time to time; he was with the 75th during Gothic Serpent. He was one of three men who tried to stem the femoral artery bleeding of SP4 Jamie Smith waiting for a medivac. Jamie Smith died. I post about Jamie Smith on LinkedIn every Oct 3. Sorry to steal the OP, but you and others deserve acknowledgement. RLTW.

I have 2 Portuguese made Model 70's, both are Extreme Weather models, one is a 264WM & the other is a 338WM. Both are very good shooters and are better finished than any of my New Haven made Model 70's and a few I have are exquisite. I also have a Super Grade in 300WM made in South Caroliner all USA made, I cannot see or feel a difference.
I like the Super Grade finish, that deep lustre bluing is exactly what I like. All of my stainless rifles that started out polished have been bead blasted to a satin finish, too shiny as standard for hunting.
Have you considered an Extreme Weather model?

Cheers.

I have 2 Portuguese made Model 70's, both are Extreme Weather models, one is a 264WM & the other is a 338WM. Both are very good shooters and are better finished than any of my New Haven made Model 70's and a few I have are exquisite. I also have a Super Grade in 300WM made in South Caroliner all USA made, I cannot see or feel a difference.
I like the Super Grade finish, that deep lustre bluing is exactly what I like. All of my stainless rifles that started out polished have been bead blasted to a satin finish, too shiny as standard for hunting.
Have you considered an Extreme Weather model?

Cheers.
I like the walnut super grade, it's a rifle that will make it to the blind with. I have two Fierce Edge models one 280 Ackley and one 6.5 prc that are 6.5 pounds or less bare (mountain rifles) when optic, sling and ammo load right at eight pounds. I just like the .264&.284 class bullets for distance if needs be. Then there is the beast!

Am considering the purchase of a Winchester model 70 Super Grade. Yes it's a pretty rifle, but my concern is are they accurate? My interest is in the 264 Winchester Magnum round one and two the ones that were assembled in Portugal. Looking for owners opinion in both chambering and the quality of work done. I am a reloader so I can customize ammunition for the rifle
Sneuses, I have this rifle, Supergrade in 264 Win Mag, and has been very accurate for me. Mine says Baco Inc. Morgan Utah.

I hand loaded a 130gr Accubond and was rewarded with sub MOA groups. I all but duplicated Nosler's offering of ammo with the 130gr Accubond. Good Luck.
1712488893816.jpeg

Sneuses, I have this rifle, Supergrade in 264 Win Mag, and has been very accurate for me. Mine says Baco Inc. Morgan Utah.

I hand loaded a 130gr Accubond and was rewarded with sub MOA groups. I all but duplicated Nosler's offering of ammo with the 130gr Accubond. Good Luck.
View attachment 561663
Baco assembled in Portugal after the browning Winchester merger. What was your mix for a load? And how did you manage to find it? I've been waiting on Jerry to say they have one for three years

Baco assembled in Portugal after the browning Winchester merger. What was your mix for a load? And how did you manage to find it? I've been waiting on Jerry to say they have one for three years
My load is all Nosler components, cases and bullets, CCI 250 primers.
IMR 7828 - 59.3 grs got me 3133.3 fps on my chrono. Magneto Sped V3.

My "cheat" factor was a new box of Nosler factory ammo, weighed a round. Subtracted a primed case and bullet weight to get powder weight. Nosler reloading manual for COAL and powders. Couple of tenths up and down. Powder load was matching as a middle of the road load so wasn't worried about it being a hot load.

Could have gone up in charge weight, but it shot so well, I decided that was good enough and I liked the speed. Good luck with yours!