Model 70 Help

ScopeRKT

Im looking to pick up a Model 70 in 300 WSM here pretty soon. I was set on a Featherweight but now im thinking the Sporter. I shoot at the range occasionally and am concerned with the light weight barrel. Im looking for a gun that i can shoot at the range and take hunting. Looking to keep it around 1200 for the rifle. Any help would be appreciated. I shoot around 500-600 yards. Dont know if i'll ever take it further.

Here's something on the Winchester Extreme Weather.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/winchester-model-70-extreme-weather-81055/

There is at least one guy here who has a 300 WSM in this rifle and his shoots very well. I have one in 338. The muzzle measures .590 which I think may be on the thin side for this caliber. Winchester magazine boxes tend to be on the short side but the WSM's seem not to have this problem.

Between the Featherweight and Extreme SS.

Does the FW have a heavier contour in WSM? How does it compare to the EW?

I have a Model 70 in 300 WSM and 270 WSM. Love them both after I bedded them in thumbhole laminated stocks from Boyds. Bedded them both with home made aluminum pillars and Devcon. Both of them are now shooting 1/2 MOA after working up the right loads. Inch and a half groups at 300 yds. Previous to the bedding jobs and handloads I was lucky to get those groups at 100 yds. My 300 was a feather weight and the 270 was a sporter. I will have to go measure the barrels but I think they are both sporter barrels (skinny). The featherweight just came with a much lighter weight stock. Both original stocks were walnut just one much heavier than the other.

Ya I'm personally in love with the featherweight stock. I was just worried about the barrel thickness. But if they're all the same then it really doesn't matter. As of now there's a 2 month back log on the Model 70's no one around me has one.

If anyone can tell me the barrel contours of the FW and EW in 300 WSM it would make my decision easier. Called Winchester and roundly get and answer

My 300wsm featherweight has a 24"barrel that measures .60" at the muzzle. I guess that might be slightly lighter than a sporter but not much.

From what I've seen on barrel websites. A .560 is considered featherweight/contour 1. .600 is contour 2 (std sporter) and .625 is contour 3 (med sporter)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.