Newbie - Help with optics setup Model 70 .300 WM

moweryj

Hi everyone, I'm an Ohio transplant in Oregon who just purchased a .300 Win Mag......it's Winchester Model 70 Alaskan in laminate and stainless....below are the things I'm looking for advice on:

1) Best scope out to 500-1000 yards; $400ish max
2) Best bases and rings combo
3) Gun has stock iron sights; can See-Thru's be used to retain these as a backup
4) Bipod or no bipod? If yes, best kind for hunting
5) Any other must haves or watch-outs?

Thanks so much!

Start reading here in LRH. You have a lot to learn when you start talking long range.
For a scope suitable for long range in the price range you have stated, I expect your only option is going to be a used scope, and a fixed power at that. You need really good image quality, and turrets that adjust the amount they are stated to move, MOA or MIL, and they have to return to zero every time.
Do you reload?

You are starting off with a fine rifle. I have one just like it myself.

Your expectations are a bit off however.

You need to figure on spending at least double your 400.00 figure for quality glass. If you get lucky you might be able to pick up a used Leupold 3.5-10x50mm for that price if you are patient and watch the classifieds here at LRH and good ole Ebay, but that is just barely enough to get you started.

You would be better advised to save up your money for a few extra months so you can move up to the same scope in 4.5-14 or the Vortex Viper PST in 4-16x50, or perhaps the zeiss conquest 4.5-14x50.

If you don't start off with quality optics you are going to end up frustrated and spending a good bit more money. The only alternative I can recommend is a high quality fixed 10x or higher power but then if you end up needing to make a shot at close range you will have too much.

The best advice again is to be patient, save your money, and get the best possible glass you can afford.

Now that we have that covered.... .

Go ahead and isntall pillars, float the barrel, and bed the action well. A competent gunsmith can do the above for you for 200-300.00 or you can do it yourself if you are a handy kind of guy and willing to sit through "how to" videos on Youtube.

Next I'd work on lapping the bolt lugs, trigger group and get the trigger adjusted to where you have a clean, crisp, light trigger that you are comfortable with.

Once you decide on your scope, I'd recommend EGW HD zero MOA rail, and TPS scope rings. Great equipment that won't break the bank.

As for see through rings, I've never seen a set of them that were not crap so I'd say avoid them.

Hey guys, thanks for the quick advice!!!

COBrad, yes I will be reloading my rounds with the help of a co-worker who has all the setup for .300 WM.

WildRose, great input on the gunsmithing I should pursue.

I can spend a bit more on a scope, just didn't realize I'd need to but I will watch the ads to try and maximize my budget so I can cover the work WildRose suggested.

Do you guys have an opinion on Bipods?

Thanks again!

I've used Harris bipods for a long time. Nothing but happy with them. My longest kill shots last year were over 1300 yards, shot off a bipod. They work.
The Atlas is getting good reviews, but I have no personal experience with them.

I've used Harris bipods for a long time. Nothing but happy with them. My longest kill shots last year were over 1300 yards, shot off a bipod. They work.
The Atlas is getting good reviews, but I have no personal experience with them.
Ditto. There are some heavier made/better made bipods on the market but unless you are shooting a big, heavy rig they really don't add much if anything to the equation.

I would however encourage looking at the trigger sticks and similar taller bi/tri/quad pods for hunting use because sooner or later you'll end up needing to take standing or kneeling shots to get a line of sight on your target and when you do you want the maximum possible stability.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.