Winchester M70 long range

I have shot a few coyote/varmint ( now called Long range) they seem to be front heavy and not balanced with those #5 contours. I guess that is why they put 2 front swivels for bipods on them. With that said, I would buy one in a heart beat but waiting until they come out with a stainless barrel. Gez new rifles sure cost a lot more today.

The older M70 LR versions were excellent shooters. Not sure what year your speaking of. Not familiar with the new LR versions. I didn't feel they were anymore front heavy than any other 26" paint barreled rifles. I have a 1984 version of the LR M70 and it's a fantastic rifle accuracy wise. I haven't shot it in almost as old as it is but it's a tack driver. Probably been 1990 since it's been at the range or in the field. Mine I believe was manufactured under the Olin Corp. Not pre 64 but IMO one of the best versions made prior to FN taking over. Can't speak to the Portuguese models currently made but have heard good and bad from owners of earlier made M70 rifles

The new FN model 70s are good to go accept for the triggers. I lightened mine by replacing springs, but they aren't like any trigger I have worked on. The MOA trigger system is garbage in my opinion. Some will disagree. I wish Jewell would make one. I called and they said they did not plan on it, same with trigger tech. The actions are the best 70 actions ever made in my estimation. Camming surfaces are extremely precise and bolt operation is very smooth. Seems like not many people know just how much they have improved. I have rifles in both short and long action. They would be the last to go if I had to get rid of my rifles.

I would buy one without hesitation but would check with "Trigger Tech " first. Just to make sure that they have one for that particular version of the model 70. Example: I have older Mark V Weatherby rifles made in Japan , and even though Weatherby is currently installing Trigger Tech triggers on many of the new Mark V rifle, they will not fit my older Mark V Rifles. Perhaps in future they may consider an up graded trigger for the older rifles, or some gunsmithing tips for installation.

I would buy one without hesitation but would check with "Trigger Tech " first. Just to make sure that they have one for that particular version of the model 70. Example: I have older Mark V Weatherby rifles made in Japan , and even though Weatherby is currently installing Trigger Tech triggers on many of the new Mark V rifle, they will not fit my older Mark V Rifles. Perhaps in future they may consider an up graded trigger for the older rifles, or some gunsmithing tips for installation.
Last time I called trigger tech, about 4 months ago, they told me that they had no plans to design a trigger for the FN model 70; that was the second time I had asked them in the last 4 years. My experience with their triggers so far has not been that great, not sayin their triggers are bad, but I have 2 of them, one installed on a model 7 and the other removed from a model 700. The one installed on the model seven lends to difficult cocking, and the other was installed on a model 700 and never did work correctly, nor did the warrantied replacement they sent me. They told my action was out of spec. I understand that may be true, but other trigger designs lend to reliability by sear adjustments that compensate for this. That particular 700 now wears a Jewel, and it works just fine.

Last edited:
I know Timeny makes triggers for M70 not sure any other trigger maker does, I have 3 they are all Post 64, 2 LA push feed and 1 SA controlled feed, I put the reduced springs on the factory assembly and adjusted all to about 1.5 pound pull and added a trigger shoe, while its not a trigger tech it feels pretty good and I get some pretty good groups with all 3, and the springs only cost $5.75 ea. The oldest is chambered in 225 Winchester, I have had since I was 12 years old, my first deer rifle, gift from my Old Man. It shoots today like it did when I was kid, never abused it.
I have another in 220 Swift, recently rebarreled it and its back to being the tack driving machine it was, it has been abused hence the rebarrel, I have had it about 15 years just as good as the older one.
The SA is 270 WSM and it shoots like you hope any factory rifle should, its a great rifle as well, shoots as good as some of the high dollar customs, as we all know it what you feed em that makes the difference, but functionality wise you can't get much better.
PS, they are all light sporter profile.

I know Timeny makes triggers for M70 not sure any other trigger maker does, I have 3 they are all Post 64, 2 LA push feed and 1 SA controlled feed, I put the reduced springs on the factory assembly and adjusted all to about 1.5 pound pull and added a trigger shoe, while its not a trigger tech it feels pretty good and I get some pretty good groups with all 3, and the springs only cost $5.75 ea. The oldest is chambered in 225 Winchester, I have had since I was 12 years old, my first deer rifle, gift from my Old Man. It shoots today like it did when I was kid, never abused it.
I have another in 220 Swift, recently rebarreled it and its back to being the tack driving machine it was, it has been abused hence the rebarrel, I have had it about 15 years just as good as the older one.
The SA is 270 WSM and it shoots like you hope any factory rifle should, its a great rifle as well, shoots as good as some of the high dollar customs, as we all know it what you feed em that makes the difference, but functionality wise you can't get much better.
PS, they are all light sporter profile.
There is nothing wrong with a Timney trigger adjusted right they are as good as needed for 90 plus percent of shooting all my rifles have Timneys and Diamond Trigger tech . I can shoot just as well with the Timneys. I even have a few tweaked 2 stage military triggers that break as smooth as glass the same can be done too the Mod 70.

The post 64s were push feed. The FN version made in North Carolina were mauser style action. Much better gun.
Are you thinking perhaps Pre-64? I know the Win control feed aka Pre-64 clone... I think came along again in 2006 with FN... my rifle was a Post before 2006, a push feed. Maybe I'm mistaken just asking. Cheers

Last edited:

Recent Posts